DIY lettering

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by mberry593, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mberry593

mberry593 Active Member

Home Page:
    Sometimes I build my own stuff. I have been using dry transfer lettering called "Letraset" to label the controls and connectors. I purchased it many years ago at a hobby shop. I can no longer find it in the style that I need. Everything I found was either too large or the wrong color. I prefer white labels. I searched and found some Chartpak lettering but it also was too large. I also found a system to make letters on a laser printer but that cost waaaay too much. I would prefer not to use p-touch labels because I don't want to see the backing.

So what I am asking is how do you DIY people label things these days? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MrEase

MrEase Active Member

Like you I have always used Letraset for prototyping. It seems it is still available with font size of 3mm (1/8th") or is that still too large for you?

Letraset - Helvetica Med Cond

3. mberry593

mberry593 Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately at that site (and others) the 3mm white is out of stock.

4. MrEase

MrEase Active Member

The site I pointed to is the manufacturers own site. I can only suggest you try contacting them to see when they'll have some more in stock.

5. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I've seen Chartpak lettering 3mm and smaller: PCB

I wonder how small the machines they use in the sign / vinyl lettering business can cut. I know a couple people in the sign business, they can do 1/4" pretty easily, but 3mm might be too fine to get a clean cut. It might be ridiculously expensive too, I don't know. Since they wouldn't have to fuss with putting it on, they might help a guy out if they had the time. It would certainly be a good adhesive (maybe too good).

There are numerous places who will silk-screen or laser etch metal work, but I'm sure that's too expensive for prototyping.

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Mike, why do you think all of the other manufacturers utilize silkscreening? Because it is practical and designed to do exactly what you want. It's slightly complicated, a little involved and of course somewhat messy. But it looks slick with silk. I certainly haven't bothered with that and use a P Touch labeler and live with it. It's adequate to quote a friend of mine.

The practical if not adequate
    Mx. Remy Ann David