Do I need another mic pre?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by torsten, Jun 16, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. torsten

torsten Guest

I need some opinions! I have a pretty good mic cabinet consisting of:

BLUE modified Neumann UM-57 (sounds better than a stock 67, though not as good as a 47)
    Audio Technica 4060, 4033
    ADK Area 51TT, Area 51 TC
    Pair of Sennheiser 441's
    Pair of SM57's
    Pair of Oktava MC012's
    CAD Equitech 100

My preamps consist of:

Jon Mernyk Audio Design (Mill Creek)
    SPL Goldmic
    Sytek MPX-4aii w/Burr-brown option

All of the preamps are very clean, transparent types. Both the Mill Creek and the SPL are
    tube, but I would still consider them more transparent that colored. My question to you is this:
    Since I have a good variety of different 'flavored' mics, do I need a preamp that adds a little color
    as well, or am I good to go? If so, which one would you recommend? I also have an Anthony Demaria Labs ADL 1500 compressor that I can add 'color' with. Maybe I need another compressor to compliment that one? I'm going into a computer with Cubase VST. I just want to make sure that I have all of my hardware bases covered, or if I need one more critical piece of equipment in my recording chain. However, I am trying to avoid getting caught up in 'gear slutitis', so I don't want to buy anything if I don't have to.
    Thanks in advance!!