Do you really need a distressor?

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by coldsnow, Jan 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. bonneybear

bonneybear Guest

Hey Nathan,when using a dist. on Kick,snare and guit. do you do them while Tracking? that would require 3 units. Or do you run them through after you have them recorded...Thanks and are they the orig. or the brit mods.....Mike

2. Jim Chapdelaine

Jim Chapdelaine Active Member

Hi Guys,
    I have most of the compressors being discussed and I have to agree that the Distressor is a great tool
    for interesting coloration. I would never strap them across a 2-bus unless you're specifically looking for a pumping effect or something unusual.
    The Vari-Mu mod has moved the Vari-Mu back into the 'first choice' catagory. It can slam and pump or become very open and transparent with a much better
    airy high end. Is airy a word? It is now.
    It also does it's traditionally great job as a mix compressor. Get the mod.
    If you're looking for 'saturation' maybe a couple of Fatsos would be better.
    If you want absolute, heavy handed smashing - try the Demeter. That thing can be brutal.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Spoiled with the choice of several different compressors I tend to try the Distressor - last. But if it wins the shoot out - on it stays, I jab at the various settings and just settle on one....

But I have a theory, I believe the Distressor to be quite 'deep' as a unit... lots to get into.

Shamefully I haven't gotten into it much... I have found the distortion settings have rarely made one (real) IOTA of difference to the signal.

:)

4. Jim Chapdelaine

Jim Chapdelaine Active Member

I agree with you Jules. The Distressor requires more futzing almost randomly until you hit something great. It might be more for tech heads and I tend to like to work fast. I have to admit that on many occasions, it's saved my ass.
    As for tracking with a ton of compression, I agree again, why? I recently mixed a well known blues diva. Her performances were stunning and the band played well (a bit too much beer in the mix but it's blues) I was shocked when I brought up the kick and snare and found them squashed beyond comprehension. Hard to undo so now we're fixing instead of mixing. Unless certain, I avoid overcompression in tracking because it just makes someone elses life miserable.

5. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Just to update. I started this thread quite a while ago and have sense bought and sold a Distressor. It was good but not my favorite on anything so I didn't feel is was worth keeping for me. I tried the Fatso without high expectations and it really through me. I think that thing is great, particularly on drums. I'll hang onto that. Not much of a compressor though. Bus setting words for tracking individual drums.

6. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I guess I am jumping in late. But I don't use anything. I track strait in through a transformer coupled pre-amp and leave tons of head room. If I need big guitar crunch I triple track. Single rectifier plus marshal each with a 57 up close and an Earthworks omni about 2 feet away doe sit for me.

If I want a BIG acoustic sound I use an Earthworks omni about 6 inches from the body plus an 81 on the neck. Go in dry right to digital. Ultratools pitchblender will make it do magic.

Kicks and snare the same way, Go in dry, use 2 mics on each balance em for EQ a little Ren EQ in the mix and Ren Comp. Works like a charm.

7. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Well-Known Member

I don't squash stuff as much as I used to either. I tend to get it most of the time w/ no eq or comp.....or a lot (pretty rare). More and more, if I want it to sound distressed I use a sans amp...or some other amp...Now we're talkin' ditressed!
    :p