1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Dream 16 channel ADC

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Link555, Jul 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Its pretty remarkable how long of a tenure the HD24 has.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

so, did Radar go out of business?

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Kurt Foster likes this.
  4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

looks like they've done all the improvements i mentioned earlier. i don't care about it running PT, although i am curious if you can mix itb with Radar? i would just get an old Trident 24 and some outboard. as long as i can do punch ins and fly stuff around i'm good. i'm not interested in "fixing things" or lining stuff to a grid or autotuning. if it needs any of that i'd rather just re record it.

5. Davedog

Davedog Well-Known Member

Archiving is a whole nother business these days. Accessing archived material and enabling artists who have moved their personal systems past the ability to even open their own old sessions is a part of my business model. I have retained my PTHD 10 license just for that. Since I don't need to actually transfer data, only provide a template with an older stamp, it works well for all involved and I don't need to keep any of the PT hardware....only the license. I can open sessions back to PT4 which is like dino days for some. It never ceases to amaze me what some folks want from these older sessions.....A clarinet part from some piece....

Some systems simply sound better than others. They may not even spec out as superior in any way shape of form but at the end of the day it's simply better fitted to listen to. Much like the difference between large format consoles as opposed to tabletop mixers. But that's another discussion.

The fidelity has gotten so good that a skilled engineer can make ITB sound like it was tape worked over till it shed. LOL

kmetal, Makzimia and pcrecord like this.
  6. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Good to hear from you,Dave! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Bos

audiokid likes this.
  7. Davedog

Hey Bos! Having so much fun these days! (sarcastic wit).....Dealing with medical issues cause I'm old...Retired from retiring...Updating the studio...Making records..Spent a LOT of time during the last four months going through all of my archives resurrecting and completing projects that never got done. Remixing some tracks for the streaming service I will launch advertising Drool'nDogg Records.....Hows things in Jolly Olde with you?

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Good to hear from you, Dave!

9. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Nice to see ya here Dave! Glad your livin it up

10. Davedog

Hi guys!
    The Radar stuff simply 'sounds' great. Like a well maintained tape machine. It's like the converters in the Alesis adats and HD24's...They sound really good. WAY above their pay grade. I know a couple of people who still use their ADATS as converters only.

I ran my early PT from my HD24 before I was able to buy PT hardware. The was PT7/8 days with the 003 surface thingy. Plus I had a mixer still at that point. Everything was analog in through the Alesis. Lightpipe into the box. Done.

Every now and again I get out the old pics from when that was all in the same room.....The Ghost....The Toft....The vast array of racks to house every stinking rack-mount device I could find....MOST of which never saw electrical current LOL

And now when I upgrade it's more about making my job easier. Better computer for control of editing programs. Stable operation of PT HDX. Enough gazintas and gazoutas to track a whole 6 or seven piece idiot orchestra. Fast and reliable net access for those long distance projects. The LAST thing you want is to get a project and they ask about some guitar part and after three hours you realize it wasn't in the folder.......A huge library of plug ins....HUGE! Why? Because sometimes you get sent things that have their set of plugs in place and if you are cross-platform you might not hear the imagery as the client intended....so having a bunch is a good idea for matching. Usually PT throws out the ones it doesn't agree with and you negotiate something for that. I'd rather they just let me do my thing which is why I got hired to begin with but tell them to mute out their plugs if they aren't confident in the raw tracks can be a project killer.

Ramble-n sorry

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  11. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Things are going OK, thanks, despite the lockdowns.

I too am having some fun re-mixing some old HD24 recordings, several of the mixes being done using a Harrison Mixbus 32c DAW. The Harrison AVA set of plugins are in a class above a lot of the others I have tried.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed