Drum Mic opinions

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Randy Carrillo, Nov 4, 2014.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Randy Carrillo

Randy Carrillo Active Member

Now that you mentioned the M80, it sounds really good on snare. I searched it and have been hearing some shootouts with it. I will have to try this down the road. For now the 57 is doing just fine.

2. simman

simman Active Member

Yeah it does sound good not to mention it is built like a freakin tank too. I give Fletcher from gearslutz credit for turning me on to the mic. Yeah it cost more than a sm57 but it is IMO worth the investment.

Randy Carrillo likes this.
  3. simman

simman Active Member

No dispute that the SM57 has been used on countless hits on snares and just about anything else you can think off. I just provided an alternative for a snare mic irrespective of budget that IMO is a better mic both in quality and ability to capture sound.

Will I sell all my 57s anytime soon - hell no but when it comes to my go to choice for a snare mic I go with the M80. It has proven to be worth the extra money at least to me.

I could also offer the SM7 (albeit big) as an interesting alternative on snare as well. Just make sure you trust the drummer :D .

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Since we've now moved to snare mics I will now put in my standard reply of Beyer 201N. I also like the AT4041's on snares that need that 'sheen' or when the theres a lot of side-stick or brush work. Another probably little known condenser I like on close in snare/hat micing is a Kel HM-3C. If I'm looking for a sort of area kit micing technique I will use two of these , one just peeking over the rim of the floor tom about a foot back and one in the nexus of the snare/ hat confluence also at a foot. Add a kick just inside and a tube overhead or a nice ribbon, gobo off the kit and that makes a great representation of a kit in a room. You can expand on this to increase the "size" by adding distant room mics.

Lately my SM7 has been the only mic I use on the floor toms.

simman likes this.
  5. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

A lot of great snare mic alternatives being mentioned here! My mainstay is the 57 but I'll sometimes add an SM81 or even an old Peavey PVM38. Yep a Peavey. It's a very bright mic but it works well when I really want to highlight the snares or use it combined with the 57 for a more natural sound.

6. Basher

Basher Active Member

I tell ya, I buy all my mics on a budget, so I went with the AT MB series mic package. I bought a GLS Audio 57 copy for the snare, and cheapo CAD'S for the OH's. Nice clean sound for the budget minded.

7. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

You do realise that you are replying to a thread that is 2 years old, right?

Not that there is anything wrong with bumping threads, but a few of the contributors to this thread are no longer around ;)

FWIW

kmetal likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I love reading through old threads, seeing how things change or don't change with the times, including how they can sometimes... stimulate old members back here :love: (some of them have passed to music heaven as well).
    fwiw... A huge percentage of "vintage RO" has some of the best pro audio content on the web, that was contributed by members whom only made their appearances here on the web. ;)

Seek and you shall find. :)

kmetal likes this.
  9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    on that note: (y)

definitely a huge factor.