Drum overheads - mic preferences

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by molehole, Jan 6, 2015.

1. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Ah - but UK Ford isn't quite the same - and weirdly Vauxhall is a bit like Audio Technica, in that Nissan and Renault have an identical, but differently priced vehicle on sale too!

pcrecord likes this.
  2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    SM81s are to overheads as SM58s are to live vocals. If your drum sound sucks it's not because you used SM81s on overheads.

I use the C1000S, but not for overheads. They oddly work on some difficult sources when other "better" mics fail. But it does tend to be a mic of last resort.

3. rocksure

rocksure Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree with all of those are good choices. The AKG C414 models are all quite different from each other. I like the old classic C414B ULS and AKG C451EB mics. Shure sm81 is a very useful mic too. The Rode NT5 is also good value as mentioned.

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Actually, the 414 ULS - while a great mic - isn't considered to be the "classic" of the 414 lineage. The 414EB - and before - was the series that most now consider to be the "classic" models, because they still used the original brass C12 capsule.
    All subsequent models, from the P48 and on, incorporated a Mylar capsule.

kmetal likes this.
  5. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The problem with the nt-5 is it doesn't have a pad, so it limits were and when you can use them as overheads.

6. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The Rode NT55 is a better choice for overheads. Same capsule as the NT5, but has pad and HP filter switches.

kmetal likes this.