Drummer Headphones

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by Codemonkey, Feb 3, 2009.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I'm on a gear lusting spree although I think I've been in one permenantly for about a year.
    (I'm new to this, OK?)

I'm considering headphones (decent) for the drummer (not loud) instead of a wedge.

I suspect a Samson S-amp (£35) and a pair of say, HD280s (£70) would do the job. This isn't set in stone though... if you have recommendations for a cheap-ish (quality not important) headphone amp and headphones, can you please tell me them?

In short, if you were (are) a live drummer, do you prefer:
    Headphones - open back;
    Headphones - closed back;
    Decent wedge, and
    Have you got any favourite gear?

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I work with a drummer who does live gigs for the country-rock singer Winona Judd. He tells me that the soundman gave him a pair of Ultrasonde cans, and that they are definitely the best at sealing out the ambient noise, loves their fidelity. Drives them with a Mackie 1202VLZ.

3. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

hd280s are all you need. no question about it. hands down. i can not be more firm about it. get a set now and you'll be hooked too

4. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

You could try a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 Isolation Headphones. Some drummers find these work very well.

5. Greener

Greener Guest

I use a pair of in ear bud type headphones under my earmuffs. Works a treat.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed