Drummer that plays too loud

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Micro, Jan 23, 2006.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Indeed that is a great method for some times... but unfortunately, or fortunately for that matter, I've played more gigs than not where putting a drummer in a plastic box would be the most horrid scenario imaginable, including, impossible more times than not simply because the venue would never have stages that big. Good drummers are able to adjust their volumes to some degree. If not, then they aren't right for that particular group.

2. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Home Page:
    I switch from hickory to maple sticks if I need to play really quiet. Getting a drummer to play quiet is very difficult unless they want to.

One thing that can help them is to judge your volume by stick bounce height.. Often we play with ear protection and it's hard to know how loud things are..
    So much of playing in time is muscle memory,.. A drummer that can play quiet has to build that muscle memory. It can't be just requested. It's not as easy as turning down an amp.

Try leaving your amp/guitar pot/mic/ P.A. volume at full and see how well you can play/sing quietly without adjusting anything. That's what life for a drummer is like.

audiokid likes this.
  3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    "Drummer that plays to loud"

It's "too" loud, not "to" loud. Sigh. Yeah, I know, grammar police, yada yada yada... and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

But I think that as educated professionals, we might consider using proper spelling - at least occasionally. ;)
    Language/translation issues, and intentional slang for the purpose of having posts that offer more of a "conversational vibe" are exceptions, I think.

Anyway, disregard this as needed.
    We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcasting. ;)

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    o_O

That's the truth !
    If band members would stop the ego war and work for the common benefit we wouldn't even talk about this.
    I've played with small ensemble and big bands. It would have been futil to play loud when the flute in front of you has no mic. I made my priority to hear everyone on stage all the time. If I don't hear the clarinet, it meens I'm playing to loud and must ajust. Dawm, not all shows are drum solos !!! And guess what, I could have a rock gig the same day and still play loud enough to rock without making the guitar player reaching for his volume knob every song...

Out of the too loud kit, the unmixed drummer is also a pain to work with live and in studio. I had drummers playing too loud on the hihat, others not loud enough on the bassdrum.. What a challenge

audiokid likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed