1. Buy or Sell at your your own risk. RECORDING ORG is not responsible for any loss due to using this free and public service. Buyer/seller BEWARE. Your are accepting this when using this free public service.

Wanted Dynamic mic

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Colin, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Colin

Colin Active Member

I'm looking for a dynamic mic for studio vocals. I figured out my voice doesn't do well with condenser mics

Get back to me any way you can!

2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Highly reccomend checking out the shure sm7, sm57, beta 57.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Three "whats", sorry:

What qualities of your voice do the (unnamed) condenser mics not capture in a way that you like? What pre-amp(s) are you using in making these comparisons? What sort of room acoustic are you recording in?

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I would add the SM58 and Rode M1 too.
    But all those behave a lot better with good preamps, like our beloved focusrite ISA ;)

It's a very good point Boswell, if the room sounds ok or is treated properly, condensers usually perform better because they will grab more of the characteristics of the vocal.
    But, I'm thinking this maybe a singer complex. Many will not like their voice. Even great singers had suffer from this and it gets anoying for us engineers because they ask for too many unnatural effects while trying to mask their more than often very good vocal quality.
    I'd say book with a vocal coach and be sure to have good technics that doesn't harm you. Practice many hours a week and don't be shy.
    I'm not a singer at all and I dared to exposed myself anyway on many of my youtube videos..

If you still want to put it on the mic's fault, check this mic comparaison with a sm57 (and laught a bit on my failing voice... ) ;)

5. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Collin - where are you based? I've got an SM7 and an EV 320 which you're welcome to borrow if you are in the UK - I'm on the east coast.

6. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Also, that C314 you are selling may not have been the more flatering for your particular voice.
    I'd investigate something like a mini 47 which has a softer high frequency response...

7. Colin

Colin Active Member

Thank you Paulears. I'm in the US. Colorado to be more specific. I have a Shure SM57 that I'm using which is surprisingly not that bad compared to the AKG 314 and I'm practically broke. So I'm contemplating just deleting this post.

kmetal likes this.
  8. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I guessed you were a Brit! Colin just seems a very non-US name. Being very honest I dob know what you mean. In the band I sing quite a lot. I sing in tune, the trouble is my voice is simply not special or memorable. I thought a condenser would help me, the opposite of you, and to be frank it made no difference whatsoever. I suspect that if eq doesn't;t bring about an improvement, then the subtle dynamic to condenser shift won't either (or vice versa). This has kind of turned into a discussion topic rather than a wanted ad - sorry.

9. Colin

Colin Active Member

That's okay. And I was able to sell my AKG 314 local for $300. So I was well pleased with that. I mean I've been in this recording thing for a little over a decade and I never thought once to even try using a dynamic for vocals. I've been very "set in my ways" so to speak.

kmetal likes this.
  10. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I never thought the SM57 could work for vocals until I tried it with a highend preamp. Man that thing has all it takes to do the job and goes for around 100$.
    Since that moment, when ever I get a new piece of gear I try all my mics and make sure I'm not missing a WOW moment..

If I remember your past recordings, the vocal seemed nicely recorded. Don't bang your head too much almost all singers don't like to hear their voice.
    Sing sing sing don't stop !! it's the only way to get better ! (says the guy who can't sing) :ROFLMAO:

kmetal likes this.