Dynaudio BM6A vs BM15A

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by Macaroni, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    Hugo de la C. !!!!

como estás cabrón !!!??

2. dimlight

dimlight Guest

aqui nomas para servirle a uste y su hermana :D

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

Well, I've been looking everywhere for a good used set of BM6A's, but I couldn't find any.

So I just ordered a new set, of "B" stock (minor nick or 2, full warranty) for $1,425! The best price for a new set I found was $1,500 cash, $1,530 credit card.

They should be here in a week or 2, so I'll let you know after I've checked them out. I may not be able to A/B them with the HR824's because my eBay auction may close before I get the BM6A's, which means I may be mixing on headphones for a while.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

They're here!!!

I'm listening to them right now.

First, I listened to 5 different CDs for various references on the HR824s, then swapped them for the BM6As. Steely Dan - 2 Against Nature, Richard Bona - Reverence (excellent stuff), Shania Twain - Come on Over, and some of my mixes from various projects.

Here are my initial observations...

-I had to crank the volume quite a bit to match the level of the Mackies, which is actually driving the Dynaudios in a nice way to let the sound bloom nicely and push the speakers to a nice optimal point.
    -I couldn't crank the Mackies too much without them getting really loud, and I think it didn't push the speakers to their optimum.

-The Mackies definitely were more bass heavy and when I moved out of the sweet spot, the bass was too much and the detail was lost.
    -Not so with the Dynaudios. The sound & detail was pretty consistent everywhere in the room - nice improvement.
    -Especially with the Richard Bona CD, which is quite bass heavy.
    -The Mackies were vibrating things in the room with the low end, but the Dynaudios were tight and focused and still had lots of low end without mushing out.

-The imaging is better - not a major difference, but definitely noticeable, probably due to the better bass response.

All in all, I'm very happy and glad that I decided to switch. A definite worthwhile improvement overall, in a very critical area of production.

I sold my Mackies on eBay and got $1,025! The Dynaudios were "B" stock and I got them for $1,425 + $57 shipping & no sales tax for Gray Davis to piss away (that useless ^#$%) :D

I looked very closely and I couldn't find any cosmetic damage, which is what "B" stock means. I think they may have been demoed and returned or something. Anyway, they have a full 1 year warranty and they are perfect for my room and they sound fantastic!

5. phunkeman

phunkeman Guest

Any comments on the Meyer HD-1's

6. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Yes, I will comment on the HD1's

For retail, they are horribly overpriced. For 2 grand a set, they are a good deal.

Great speakers but for that kind of money...you still are settling for an 8" 2way. All the electronics as well.

It is also about value.

You need to consider many aspects when looking for accurate monmitors..if the sky is the limit, then spend what you can afford...up to the sky.

If you want to go beyond the sky, and still keep in budget, consult some DIY speaker outlets and forums that support accuracy, that is least 93dB 1 Watt 1 meter.

It goes deep, out of time for this post now, will do more later...

7. phunkeman

phunkeman Guest

Thanks for the response. Moved up from Events 20/20bas and I was in the right place when the the other boxes came around. I agree the retail is bonkers. I was curious as to the way that stack up next to the Dynaudio's. The one thing I noticed is that you cannot bang them as hard as I did the 20's. Then again I can hear a lot deeper into them better if that make any sense. I really appreciate your input. Because I started toward the Dynaudios. Maybe these will hold for a while. Thanks

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

next month i will be going to São Paulo to test myself bm5 and bm6. they are getting popular here. up to now, no Adams dealer in brazil.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

Hi Alecio...

The BM5 & BM6 are the non-powered versions, so depending on how they are amplified they may not represent the full potential of the BM6A's or BM15A's, which are bi-amped with Dynaudio's own technology. I suggest that you focus on the powered versions for best results.

10. Alécio Costa - Brazil

thanks Macaroni!

11. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

From an alternative viewpoint, I have more often liked the passive versions of a lot of monitors than the active. Very few powered speakers, in my experience, have anything special in the power amps, until you get up into the several thousand dollar range. I'd try both, at least, and try the passives with something solid and midlevel like a Hafler or Bryston. You may be surprised which ones you like better.

12. Alécio Costa - Brazil

thanks Jon
    Due to budget, I am thinking to purchase bm5 or bm6, passive models, using a regular amp styled like ra150 (Alesis) or PA 150 (Tascam). is it a sin my friend?
    Thanks
    :)

13. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Good god, yes. :) That damn Alesis has got to be one of the worst sounding amps I've ever been subjected to. I'm not a big fan of Tascam amps either...

You could get something like an Adcom 535 or similar Parasound for $100-150 used, and it would be much, much better sounding. The idea is, look at smaller (80-150w/side), used audiophile stuff with a good name.

14. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Funny Jon, the RA-100's I have used are good sounding amps. Reports of the 300 have also been favorable. Is the 150 (that I have not used) a rat?

I will say this, the capacitance of your input cables can play tricks with various amplifiers "sound".

The Adcom is a good amp for the money..abit a shade bottom heavy though for me. I have had the 535, 545, 555 and the 5800 in here..they are nice..but not up to a Bryston.

Fats swears by the Haflers. Actually, experimentation with various cables yields wild results.

I was very well pleased with the way the r-a 100's sounded on various loudspeakers compared to my reference amplifiers. I do use ultra premium cables though.

The Sansui G series receivers being used as a power amp only are also nice for the bucks. Just bypass the preamp and go into power amp in. They had FQ res of DC to 300K

15. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I like my PA150. They are simple, reasonable power for what I do and for the size of room I have got.

What about those Samsom models?

If it were so easy to find the gear you listen Jon, of course I would have already followed your ideas!! I live in the very south of America!

16. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Sorry, it was actually the RA-100 I was referring to. I have very much preferred, in the same situation, a number of Haflers, new and old, the Adcom 535 (which I think sounds better, at least at low volumes, than the larger 500 Adcoms I have heard), the newer Yamahas, all but the cheapest Crowns, and even an old Yamaha P2200. The RA-100 always sounded fairly small to me. I'd put the Samson in the same league.

I've used heavy gauge copper cable for most of my listening life, and I got some heavy Mogami a couple years ago that seems to be good. I've only heard a couple of high end cables, but I generally seem to only hear a difference wrt how much copper is in the cable, vs. who put it there. There's a lot out there that I have not heard, though, so whether it be room, gear, or preference, your experiences are just as valid as mine.

17. Morpheous

Morpheous Guest

Well the only things in a cable that can effect an electric current are inductance, capacitance and resitance and there no need to spend much money getting a cable which will perform well in all 3 area's so I wouldn't worry about buying high end one's.

Better of spending the extra cash on something that matters like good speakers.

18. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If you can't hear a difference in your cables, then you should be upgrading other components in your monitoring system until you can hear a difference.In a high resolution monitoring system, cables can make a huge difference.

19. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I was recently gifted with some BNC/word clock cables from a friend that works at Monster Cable. I felt a slight improvmnt in my PT rigconcerning onncetions made between 2 adat bridges. Maybe 5%would be a number

20. Morpheous

Morpheous Guest

Well you are intitled to your opinion that cables make a huge difference but in IMHO the expensive cable thing is a complete con. And its got nothing to do with the quality of the monitoring systems I have heard.

Although different cables can effect amps badly effecting these effects are measurable and are caused by excessive capacitance found in some cables. And funnily the worst offenders are usually the expensive cables.

You can get a pefectly good cable 50p a meter. If you can give me one single scientific, measurable reason that expensive cables give a better sound then I might be interested but so far no one has.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed