E-MU 1212m Help!

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Naike, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. Naike

    Naike Guest

    HeyI got a E-MU 1212m for free from my brother.
    Now Im struggling how to use it.
    I installed it properly, and installed the newest drivers.
    What im trying to do is to plug in my guitar in the big (the one step bigger than 3.5mm jack) Left channel jack.

    In this picture its the first one in the part under.

    And then record the sound and edit etc... so basically im trying to make music with it.
    My problem is that I cant get it to send the audio to my other soundcard output. (the normal green output in pcs)
    And i cant hear the sound in any way, not even if i record it with Cubasis VST 4.

    Anyone have any idea what im doing wrong?
  2. Greener

    Greener Guest

    Can you see a wave form when you record?

    Also, you should connect your speakers to the E-MU 1212m's outputs, not the onboard soundcard.

    Use 6mm to 3.5mm converters to plug your pc speakers into the 1212m though unless you get some spiderman converter you will only have mono.

    Hope you get help. :)
  3. hueseph

    hueseph Well-Known Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    YOu might be able to find a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" "mono"(L/R) adapter. You would need to make sure it is stereo to left/right conversion though and not stereo to mono. Conversely you could invest a little money in some inexpensive monitors or make your own adapter with some parts from Radio Smack.
  4. GeckoMusic

    GeckoMusic Guest

    If you are going directly from your guitar to the card you are going to have impedance matching and level problems. You'll know by the low signal level, poor quality sound, and possibly a hum. A DI box should fix you up.
    As an alternative you could also use the line out (not speaker out) of your amp into the card.
  5. Naike

    Naike Guest

    What would be the most cheapest and most easiest way to plug my guitar in the pc, so I could use a software or something for distortion effects etc, and then get the sound out to my pc headphones, or any other output.

    Basically what im trying to do is, to replace a effect pedal system with my pc, excpt that i could record.

    So Guitar --> PC (Instead of an effect pedal) --> PC Record --> Sound out.
  6. GeckoMusic

    GeckoMusic Guest

    M-Audio JamLab. ~$60 USD. I got mine on sale for about $30. Comes with guitar processing software, and you just plug into it like an amp. Has a headphone jack, and bonus: It works with PT.
  7. Naike

    Naike Guest

    Problem would be that i live in europe and would have to order that from the states

    (btw whats PT)
  8. GeckoMusic

    GeckoMusic Guest

    PT = Pro Tools. bummer on the JamLab
  9. AudioGaff

    AudioGaff Well-Known Member

    Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Don't bother with just adapters. The E-MU 1212M has balanced line level inputs & outputs. In order to correcly interface a guitar, bass or mic is with using some sort of preamp with a line level ouput. A cheap small mixer will get the job done.

Share This Page