effects [compression] in DAW tracking

Discussion in 'Computing' started by osmuir, Nov 21, 2001.

1. osmuir

osmuir Member

ok, so here's my question/discussion topic...

how do yall deal with the fact that extra steps of A/D conversion make yr product suck more and more?

since i'm doing a project w/no decent plugins right now [not on my computer rig] i'm tending towards more compression on the way in, trying to figgure on how much i'd actualy want in the mix later on [note: i'm 22, so i haven't learned my lession yet, and i'm kinda heavy handed with my compression :) ].

what do you all do with outboard stuff condisering A/D D/A issues, especialy w/ "limited quality" converters?

--owen

2. td

td Guest

I think I'd rather use decent quality compression ( what comp are you using? ) on the way in, depending on what you're trying to achieve, than sending back out through suspect converters.

I guess you should try it both ways to see if it's what you need, maybe a particular outboard effect will be just what your track needs, and damn the fidelity, y'know?

Another option if you're using a DAW is to automate the volume to simulate what a compressor would do, although you wouldn't get any colorful processing with this technique.
    Good Luck
    Tony

3. osmuir

osmuir Member

wow, hardcore automation. kinda a cool idea. i kinda do that already with vocals [a la earl cohen, editing words up and down in volume].

i'm using a distressor and an rnc, so 2 good compressors, and one with attitude [i am all about distressor distortion modes].

anyone else?
    --owen

4. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Distinguished Member

"how do yall deal with the fact that extra steps of A/D conversion make yr product suck more and more? ... since i'm doing a project w/no decent plugins right now"

Owen,

Converters aren't the only evil. To my ears, most plugins do about as much damage to the audio as most converters. A mediocre master clock does damage too, as does the math applied during digital panning/gain changes/summing. All of these things count in digital audio.

If the product is supposed to sound like a record at the end of the day, I prefer to go with good converters and clock...noplug-insor digital panning or digital fader automation except for special fx....and mix out on a good analog desk with good outboard.

Jon

5. jscott

jscott Guest

OK - I admitt, I really never considered the clock as an issue on my setup, which is the MTP AV. But the more and more I read, people are raising that as an issue.

So in the scheme of clock sources out there, how does the likes of a MTP AV rank vs say the Lucid GenX's in audible difference?