ENG style

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by grizzzly540, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. grizzzly540

    grizzzly540 Guest

    I probably sound like and idiot but can someone explain ENG to me. What does it stand for and when someone asks for it, what are they expecting?

  2. TVPostSound

    TVPostSound Member

    Feb 15, 2006
    ENG= Electronic News Gathering. Like a street news reporter.

    When someone asks for a sound guy to mix ENG style it's a
    Run and Gun, which means you carry a mixer on a belt pack, carry your own boom, and run with the camera man to get your audio, you are tethered to the camera ( via audio cable), as they want audio direct to tape.

    Think "Amazing Race"

    "Cops" was the first to implement that style!!!
  3. grizzzly540

    grizzzly540 Guest

    Thanks a lot
  4. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Member

    Sep 26, 2005
    Or it could simply mean that you just need to make the meters move. Never mind about sound quality and all that crap. Who cares about that? Not video guys. Even though they think they know about sound. They don't. That's TV sound. Not audio. This has nothing to do with the wonderful TVpostsound who does real TV audio but that's post and not ENG. Very much unlike TV news sound which is simply meters moving. Although I did much better than that for NBC News. I had to. I did real audio before I ever got transferred into TV.

    The good news is, I don't do bad news anymore. That's bad news as its means nose news equipments fors mes.
    Ms. Remys Anns Davids

Share This Page