Engineering Audio

Discussion in 'Production' started by blaumph2cool, Feb 6, 2013.

1. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

I thought this was funny. Please raise your hand if you've had a similar experience.

2. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

I had to watch that twice! LMFAO

I had a gig where a school wanted a school song recorded and it had a guaranteed radio spot but.......they wanted kids from the school to perform it! OMFG I literally had to fix every note on guitar lines I was so desperate that I retracked drums, bass and many backups later. On violin I recorded the violinist playing a major scale then I auto tuned it and wrote the line editing it in. Brutal editing. I call it the song that never happened. The live performance was.........interesting.

Anyway this video made me think of that story.

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Its here now!

欧美æžç¬‘录音节目2-Life is hard for a recording engineer—在线播放—优酷网,视频高清在线观看

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, that video has been making the rounds of all the recording forum sites. It's destined to become a classic.

And believe it or not, I've actually heard worse. ;)

If you're in this biz long enough, it's inevitable that you'll do a session like that... LOL

-d.

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Last October up at Fabrice DuPont's FLUX Studios, he had some live entertainers. So I'm watching this guy sings some old 1930s/40s French cabaret songs. Well it looks like a guy? It sure as heck did not sound like a guy. At first I just thought somebody was fooling around like that video depicted? Nobody was fooling around! This guy got out sing most any woman I have ever recorded. Kind of like that Legrand Chayna Opera company some years back LOL. Yes I know I misspelled that. The voice recognition software doesn't know how to spell that either.

In reference to the other parody video, I had this piano bar jingle singer that sang everything almost a quarter pitch under. Not sure why he was even hired? I think he was a friend of one of the top sales guys or something? And I rode his pitch correction, in 1979, on the Eventide H-910 I had. So I was doing real-time pitch correction, and digitally, in 1979 to keep him on top of the pitch. Didn't matter what I did for his headphone feed. Always a quarter tone under. It was brutal.

Part of this payment was an agreement to cut him some demo songs with the rhythm section we used for the jingles. The copy I have retained is the real-time pitch corrected version. Everybody loved the way it all sounded. But then I switched off the pitch corrector. And that's what I gave him. Everybody asked me why I did that? It was simple. He cannot sing in tune. And I wouldn't want my recording of him to be nonrepresentative of his performance and delivery. Which is what everybody has done today with thousands of no talents. And I don't buy into that kind of lowering of the bar. I worked to bring out the best that someone has to offer. When they have nothing to offer there is nothing for me to bring out. I won't do it. I did it for the jingles because millions of dollars over a period of years was on the line. And that pitch corrector also had a 36 ms latency to the real-time output. Which actually worked out quite well since this guy was also rushing the beat. And now he is on the back side of the beat which really made a huge difference in addition to the pitch correction. So I could really relate to both of those videos LMAO for sure for sure.

I guess that's studio is not booking and many people these days? They're producing comedy videos instead from the control room and the studio. So they've reinvented themselves in a very entertaining way and manner. After all... how else are you going to pay for a large SSL like that?

I'd really like to record that fat guy. Oy vey.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

7. TomLewis

TomLewis Active Member

The look on that piano player's face...