Equipment To Buy

Discussion in 'Recording' started by DKNUCKLES, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

So i've been thinking about starting up a basement studio, and I would like to decide what to buy so if I see it on sale I can pick it up. I would love to hear the opinion's of some people here to let me know what they think I should buy. I don't want super professional quality stuff, but I would like equipment that will give good sounding stuff. Here's what I figure I need so far...

1) 24 Channel Mixer (unpowered) - I dunno what brand i should look into, so opinions please :)

2) Microphones - Looking into Shure SM57 drum mic's and a couple of condensor mics to serve as vocal mics, overhead's for drums and amplification recording.

3) Mixer To Computer Device? - Similar to a firepod i suppose. Called DAW's? I need some help in this area please.

4) Computer Software - Open to suggestions here. I've heard quite a bit about Adobe Audition on this forum. I've also recorded at studio's with Pro Tools, Cubase LE and Albeton Live. Any suggestions as to what programs I could run? I've already got a computer built that will be able to handle any of these (minus Pro Tools which needs the hardware)

As you can tell I'm a complete newbie when it comes to being the one recording the music, however I'm not a newbie when it comes to being recorded. I've recorded 4 times from basement studios to professional ones. This is a complete learning process so please be kind.

I don't plan on recording anytime in the near future, but I would like to keep my eye out for some deals and pick up equipment at discounted prices when the option comes along.

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

What is your Budget?

3. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

to be perfectly honest, I haven't really set a budget... Lets say something like the following

Mics - $1000
    DAW (if thats what they're called) $500-$700
    Mixer $500

hows that sound?

4. Link555

Well $500 may not get you a 24 Channel Mixer, You may be able to get a ebay deal on a mackie 24-8 Bus.

As for mics Grab the Apex SP2
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=24310&Category=Microphones
    it will get you started, when you are ready to mod the 460 give me a shout.

Analog to digital converter will cost a bit,
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFIREPOD

As for software:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--STECUBASESX

Don't forget cables!

That will get you started.
    Best of Luck

5. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

so i can plug mics into a mixer then plug that mixer into the firepod, which connects to my comp?

6. Link555

The firepod has 8 preamps, so won't need the mixer. How channels do you need to record at once?

7. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

well i'm a drummer so i was hoping to do as many as necessary ...

What would i use to convert analog to digital if I wanted to use a mixer?

8. Link555

Same thing, yu would just need to use Line level inputs as opposed to mic level inputs.

What style of drumming?

For rock I can use up to 13 mics, but Often I get away with just 3. It really depends on your style.