Essential rack gear?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Don Caballero, Sep 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. I'm purchasing a compressor soon as was wondering how big of a rack I should I get and what other gear would you consider essential for tracking? I just want a small, portable setup so I can also do on location work. Thanks.

2. sushifish

sushifish Guest

Look into quality pre's. Very important in the chain. I like the POD pro's for guitar and bass as well. Get a rackmount tuner! A good power conditioner.

Depends on how you're recording...

3. I was just going to go with one of those cheap furman conditioners, should I avoid those?

I'm running everything through a Firepod so I don't really want or need alot of stuff, it's just I'm finding I need an outboard compressor for vocals and such and am wondering if I am missing any other essentials.

4. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

A quality pre or two is certainly a must for your chain, even more than the compressor IMO.

5. For now, the Firepod more than suites my needs in a pre. However I plan, when needs and money allow, to acquire a quality pre or two.

Also, I see you're in Whittier. I'm in La Mirada and am wondering if you know of any good audio shops around the area.