Expensive synths with poor mono compatibility

Discussion in 'Synths / Samplers & VSTi' started by paulears, Aug 31, 2017.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I recently worked with a Sampled piano that was played with live tracks - drums, bass, guitars, etc.
    I found that narrowing the sampled piano's width, and then running it through a saturator plug with just a hint of wet in the mix ratio resulted in it sounding more cohesive and "natural" with the other tracks. I think it's also important to choose the right piano sample as well. For rock/blues, As opposed to using a 14" Bosendorfer or Steinway sample, you might want to consider a smaller piano, perhaps even an upright. While the "big" piano samples sound good on their own, and definitely have a certain wow factor, they're not necessarily the right choice for a rock track, as the wow part can work against you and distract you when listening to the whole mix.
    IMHO of course.

kmetal likes this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    For organ chord stabs in a sublime/jack Johnson style tune, we played the keyboard through a fender amp and mic'd it close and ambient. It gave a nice edge to the sound. I can't say it sounded 'more real' but it did sound more like a performance in the room than just DI. Goodness knows what sort of cancelizations occurred, but I'm much more aware now than I was 5 years ago about that stuff.

We got the sounds while the song was playing and so I think that was a big help in the mix, since we had a decent rough in.