Explaining word clock

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by smog99, Dec 15, 2004.

1. smog99

smog99 Guest

Hi All,
    This may be a dumb question, but do I need a master clock source in my setup ? I'm using 2 digimax 8 ch pres (lightpipe) as well as 4 analong inputs into an RME Hammerfall card, and recording to Nuendo. I don't hear anything weird but some other reading has got me concerned.
    Thanks in advance

2. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I personally believe that a good master word clock source is a nice addition to any DAW setup and can definitely help in critical situations. If you don't have any other digital gear other than your pre's ( presonus right?) you can probably get away without one.

The next time you record/mix/whatever I suggest, if you can, is to rent (or borrow a friends, or audition one from your local dealer, steal, whatever) a word sync generator to do an a/b test. If you hear an improvement, great. If not, don't bother buying one.

3. smog99

smog99 Guest

maybe I will

Thanks John. I will borrow one this weekend. But it's importance is in the recording stage and not the mixing stage correct ? I am mixing 100 % in the box.

4. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It is certainly critical at the a/d converter and less critical at the d/a converter since one argument is that you can have better equipment at the d/a.