External Harddisk

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jX, Nov 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jX

jX Guest

hey, wasn't too sure where to put this but i'm looking for an external harddisk to purchase.

Been looking around and as i'm a PC user but am starting to work with a mac i'm not too sure on what hardware is good.
    not knowing where to get good equipment i just went to apple store to see what they support and found this item

G-DRIVE 250GB External Hard Drive

have any of you heard of the companys rep?

or would you like to suggest a good external harddisk that is reliable, fast and can do some good storing for audio recording :)

thanks

2. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I usually roll my own.....been using Maxtors steadily with no problems. I buy them and drop them into a Lian Li RH40 or RH58 drive caddy, then that assembly fits into a USB2 or Firewire case connected to my PC. Much less expensive than buying a ready made external drive. You can find all the component pieces at:

www.directron.com

I know many people are also partial to Seagate and IBM hard drives. Good luck!

3. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Thank you very much for the link.

That is definitely a nice $$$ return for just the time it takes to read a little and turn a few screws.

4. jX

jX Guest

Yeah for pc i usually also go for seagate, although is there some incapatability between pc harddisks and mac's?
    new to mac here

5. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Nope, a hard disk is a hard disk. What matters is the OS you format it with.

MT3k, you're very welcome! http://www.compuplus.com is another good source for bits & Pieces.

6. bpatram

bpatram Guest

removed

7. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

>>have any of you heard of the companys rep?<<

I have been using their drives with excellent results. They have the BEST cases available, IMO. I have used and tried many, many cases and the G-Drives are the best.

You can even buy one with every connection to date: FW400/800/SATA & USB 2.0.

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm

8. jX

jX Guest

Hmmm think ill go with the g-drive.
    seems like its a safe bet. Might be a little more change going out but it seems to be worth the extra money