Fat32 or NTFS(?)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by yodermr, May 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yodermr

yodermr Guest

Quick question. I read the Win2000 optimization guide. From that I think the OS hardrive gets formatted NTFS(?) and the sound drive gets FAT32. The harddrives are Deskstar 120gxps. Tring to format the sound drive FAT32. I keep getting errors that say the volume is too big. Does Fat32 have some limitation? The drives are 40gig. I went ahead a formatted it as NTFS(?) to make sure that something worked. That worked fine.

Mark

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

You know..I need to change that optimization guide on that aspect. I reccomend going with NTFS for two reasons..
    One...file security from internet hackers!
    Two...if you accidentally erase data you can use a program called Restorer2000 or UndeletePro to recover those files!

There isnt any performance difference between the two anyways. NTFS it is!
    FAT32 does have a 32GB limitation so that may be the issue at hand. You can format drives larger than 32GB as FAT32 but I can't remember what the issue was to get it to work properly.
    Opus

3. steveho222

steveho222 Guest

Here's how:

Boot a Win98 boot disk
    fdisk and say "Y" for support for large drives
    Partition the whole drive
    Reboot with Win98 boot disk
    format D: /z:64

That will allow you use a larger drive formatted under FAT32. I currently do this to format my 60GB drives for my Win2000 DAW.

4. Opus2000

Nah...I tried that and didn't see any improvement at all on the z:64 switch...NTFS..that be the way to go!
    Opus

5. steveho222

steveho222 Guest

Yes it doesn't improve anything, but it should let you format beyond the 32gb.
    Steve

6. Opus2000

Oh yeah!! A very valid point! lol :D