1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Firewire disappearing from Laptops?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by JoeH, Mar 30, 2012.

1. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Joe, paint it with some white and black so it looks more like a Good & Plenty and you won't look all sissy like.

The ultimate sissy
    Mx. Remy Ann David

2. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Mmmmmm, yeah!

Good'n'plenty, good'n'plenty.....Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear....Choo Choo Charlie was an engineer...

3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Yeah Joe, I can't forget those good old jingles. Glad you haven't forgotten them either. So tell me...How do you handle a hungry man? The man handlers. You can take Salem out of the country but... you can't take the country out of Salem. Taste me taste me... come on and taste me ...

I'd rather be smoking something other than cigarettes
    Mx. Remy Ann David

4. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The problem with Thunderbolt, is those of us that have $1800 interfaces w/o Thunderbolt.

I have an HD24 for my live multitrack capture, but I also like redundancy -
    and this is why I'd love to have a FW400/800 laptop that runs the same OS/DAW as my studio.
    Or at least one that allows for PCIe so I can transfer my audio digitally in some manner.

We've thought about using a laptop/interface for redundancy, extra mobile rig, remote machine/mixer, etc...
    Basically, a scaled-down version of our control room on-the-go... in studio or on the road.
    As integrated as technology is today, one would think this would be possible - it was a few years ago...

As others have lamented, only the "i" series of products seems to have the ease of compatibility a modern engineer can benefit from.

And I'll repeat my biggest beef - that neither Dell nor HP websites or phone reps could/WOULD tell me that I couldn't get FW in a new laptop.
    It must have been a secret?
    Either way, I've lost my faith in (new) computer-based mobile recording.
    Maybe I'll wait until Thunderbolt is old news?

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    PCAudioLabs has great FW capable laptops, I have one and love it. I use the Network port and it works great. Also, there will be other interfaces that bridge FW to thunderbolt as posted in this thread earlier. Like Prism has posted on their website for the Orpheus.
    http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/studio_news.php?story=0259
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw800expresscard34.html

I don't think its as big deal right now and by the time it is, you will be happy to be replacing your converters.

6. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    As I mentioned, I put another laptop into my fleet; another Sony Viao; all pink and pretty. (It was my daughter's before she went over to the dark side with a Mac Airbook...;-) My (female) assistant loves it, FW and everything. I've got extra PC express cards and dedicated software on that computer as well. This brings me up to THREE Laptops that run Windows 7, and so far, so good.

I've already told my son to GIVE ME BACK the Sony Vaio laptop I gave him as a Birthday/Christams present a few years ago. When he upgrades to something else, , that thing is MINE, firewire port and all. ;-))

I figure I'm good for another 3-4 years at least....till Window 7 is a thing of the past.