Fixing stripped screwholes

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Guitarfreak, Jun 27, 2009.

Tags:
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. treidm

treidm Active Member

Excellent sticky!

I need to fix some stripped ones for tuning machines on headstock of a 1952 Gibson A-40 Mandolin & My '75 Gibson MK35 Guitar as well.
    Great info!!

....Reid

2. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

I work on all my guitars (and friends) myself*. Fixed many a-stripped screw hole. I always drill out the old hole, and glue in a hard wood dowel. When it's all dried and set, it's like one continuous piece of wood. Like there was never any problem. Just redrill the holes for the screws, screw it in, and it'll hold forever.

* That is to say, I work on my friends guitars, not my friends bodies. I am not licensed to practice medicine anywhere except in my mind.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Dude. This thread is six years old.

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    hehe, that's okay, makes for good conversation and lets the past people on this thread know we're still kicking! Too bad this didn't have a few hundred.

I saw it and thought, I remember a thread where I should point John and what do you know... this is the thread lol!

Stickies are current.

:LOL:

JohnTodd likes this.
  5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    you guys, don't remove your threads because of it being an old thread. Any topic , new or old is welcomed to update it. Why start a new one on the same subject when there is one already started ( new or old). Its all good.
    I actually think it's very good to update old threads. A healthy forum is all about Keeping it moving. (y)

6. Josh Conley

Josh Conley Active Member

Home Page:
    ok audiokid.
    there are various types of threaded inserts for both steel and wood that could very well provide a semi permanent fix for worn out threads.
    dig it
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=rb4n0h

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed