Flat Drum Sounds

Discussion in 'Drums' started by davemoore, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Guest

As a newbie to this forum just let me say - this is fantastic!
    As a drummer for 30 years I have been researching mic'ing techniques and gear for the past few weeks and have been getting a migraine; I have been trying to find out reviews about the Shure 6 pack mics you are using for your tests and have pretty much come up empty until now..

In the past I've either gone into studios where they have state of the art equipment or played live where the PA and mics are supplied so I haven't needed to worry about it - right now I am playing with a band and looking for a cost effective solution to recording our practices (so that its listenable and roughly accurate for our own ears, and good enough to play as demos for club owners) and mics that will be good enough for playing live if need be.

OF course it rots my socks that drummers have to have several mics and (in some cases)a sub-mixer to go into the main board while all the other members just need one stinking plug! Not to mention the state of the art drums, cymbals and hardware that we have to lug around.. Oh the joy! I must really be fanatical about drumming to put up with this - oh yeah - I am!! (I forgot).

So.. I am waiting with baited breath to see how this experiment turns out. From what I've heard from the samples it sounds like the mics will do the job that I'm looking for..

So Dave - are you still happy with the Shure mics? Is there any reason why I shouldn't take the plunge? Sounds like your problems are just mic placement and mixing issues.
    Cheers,
    Rimshot

2. tedcrop

tedcrop Guest

Dude you need to figure out what is rattling on that bass drum. And maybe put some oil on that kick drum pedal.

I just started a kick drum post lets see what gets kicked up.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed