1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

(term) Gobo

Discussion in 'Glossary of Terms' started by audiokid, Apr 10, 2017.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Gobo is a slang term used by sound recording engineers to refer to a movable acoustic isolation panel.

An acoustics gobo is parallel in use to a photography gobo, which is used to block direct light sources, and also shares its name with the stage lighting gobo. The origin of the term "gobo" is obscure, but is most likely short for "go-between." The gobo was invented by Charles Norris Hoyle, and was originally a product of TayTrix.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/freestand-acoustic-panel-gobo/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobo_(recording)

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Chris...I understand that Wikipedia states that the gobo "was originally a product of TayTrix", but this is misleading. Goboes have been used in recording studios going back to the ones in Les Paul's studio in the early 50s. Hellsbells, my dad and I made 4'x4' goboes out of 3/4" particle board (yes, they weighed a TON), lined them with Corning pink, and covered them in paisley fabric (similar to what Les's were) way back in 1975 for my first studio. TayTrix is only about 20 years old but I remember a guy down in Miami who was building them for studios (like Criteria) back in the 70s. I couldn't afford his, so Dad and I built our own, using pix of Les Paul's studio in Guitar Player mag. Not knockin' your use of Wiki, but the newcomers to this field should be reminded how lucky they are that they can order all of their tools online, shipped to their door. That wasn't the case for the first generation of home recordists who had to cobble together their rigs from scratch, and many times that included the console. Sorry for the interruption...

audiokid likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed