1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

critique Gone

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by kevinwhitect, Jan 18, 2020.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Kev Active Member

Home Page:
    This one current features me singing ... and we will have our lead vocalist eventually track the piece.

Seeking overall comments on the underlying music bed mix.

This one, curiously, was played "almost" live. I overdubbed the keys, but we did the rest of it (Drums/Bass/Elec/Acoustic) all together in two takes.

Thanks, again, in advance, for any/all thoughts regarding.

Attached Files:

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hey Kevin,
    Nice song !

kevinwhitect likes this.
  3. kevinwhitect

Home Page:
    Thanks Marco!!

4. stevie_m

stevie_m Active Member

I really like the structure of the intro and the general chord progression of the verses. Something seems off with the bass note @ 0:16. Guitars sound fabulous and clean. I feel like the vocal is a bit too dry and sometimes SLIGHTLY pitchy on those higher notes of the chorus ("don't ya leeeave me heeeeey"). I think that chorus vocal performance need to be sung a little looser and really nail the pitches. The verses are sung well though, no issues. Cool minimalist guitar solo.

kevinwhitect likes this.
  5. kevinwhitect

Home Page:
    I did catch what you mentioned, and the vocals have been pitch corrected. Harmonies will be added during the choruses so that the pitch variances will sound a bit more blended, and less "focused/isolated on the pitch wandered". Multiple voices hide much better. :D

I will check the bass note. Thank you, Stevie. Humans are imperfect ... but recordings are unforgiving.

Acc guitar was tracked (again) through an AT4050 ... then cloned. I added a slight chorus to the 2nd track and panned both out to the sides. Our guitarist finger picks his part on electric ... and so volume is an issue. I manually have to isolate his parts and boost where he gets too soft.

As much as I catch, I do so appreciate extra ears that catch more than I do.

Thank you.

pcrecord likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed