Got the RME Fireface 800...

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Cucco, Oct 17, 2007.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Not to hijack this thread with a competitor, but has anyone experienced the new TC Electronic StudioKonnect 48 box yet?

http://www.tcelectronic.com/StudioKonnekt48.asp

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

That was the other device that I was seriously considering. (Of course, it wasn't shipping at the time, but I did do a lot of research).

First, I liked the flexibility of the unit and the fact that it has some hardware DSP for plug-ins plus the capability to more easily integrate external devices as hardware effects.

However, I didn't like that only 8 channels of ADAT were available at maximum. Sometimes I do hit the 20 or more track mark and need the ability to add more tracks via different converters.

Also, I listened to some of the TC devices that are currently on the market (Konnect24 and Konnect8) and while they sounded pretty good, I liked the transparency of the RME better. The TC imparted a thicker tone to everything - as if trying to be warm. It wasn't much, but it was there. Don't get me wrong, I could very easily work with the sound of the TC - it was quite nice (and will likely be getting the Konnect 24 for my in-studio work), but the RME edged it out in overall sound. (The pres were a notch better on the RME too - which are surprisingly quite good! I won't hesitate to use the RME pres when I need a few extra channels.)

The final thing that I liked was the fact that RME designed their own Firewire solution versus relying on a 3rd party manufacturer. This makes me feel like I'm going to get better support. It might just be in my head.

3. Cucco

GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I was on location again last night - same group - same drum guy and again, the guy picks my CMC 62s up and drags them across the field without my permission in the middle of a take!

I told the main conductor last night - this is the last time. I don't even let my wife touch those mics without her telling me how she's going to handle them in advance of touching them. (She's become a very well trained studio assistant!)

4. BRH

BRH Active Member

Hey, I told you to kick the mofo out of there!! During a take- Touch the Schoeps? Them's fighten' words.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Older thread but hoping you guys are able to answer a few related question here rather than reinventing to thread.

I use Sequoia 11 now ( time has passed and new version :) ) I'm doing remote recordings this winter with a new remote system so its new to me. From what I'm getting here, I am able to download a limited version of Samplitude for these projects? Saves any risk of loosing my Sequoia codemeter yes?

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    JackAttack,

as a referrence, Like you, I have two FF 800 as you know but haven't tried using them both in a live setting. You've done this correct?

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Yes I have. It works great. I don't normally have them racked together but when I need both for remote that is what I do. I loop the firewire cable under the hook and then plug it in (on both units). Also, I have my units marked 1 & 2 so that I don't get confused when traversing the TotalMix gui. Your smallest serial number will be #1, then the next smallest #2 etc.

Now, it's pretty rare for me to need more inputs than one FF800 will provide even at 88.2k. Usually I double up if I need more than 8 mic preamps. The second set of 8 preamps then comes into FF#1 via ADAT. Then the 2nd FF800 provides my link to the HD24XR via ADAT and also a 2-bus mix to my PMD671 via S/PDif. This season I have taken to tracking everything into the Glyph via Reaper. Reaper has not glitched once for me and even if it did, that's why the HD24XR is there. One catch with the Glyph. For it to work flawlessly, the FF800's are chained via 9 pin cable and then the Glyph is connected to the 2nd FF800 via a 6 pin firewire cable.

FYI: RME just released the newest driver for the Fireface units. It streamlines the gui a bit.

8. Cucco

Chris -
    I also do a similar thing.
    When I bought my FF800, it came with a copy of Samplitude. It's a limited track count version, but IIRC, it's limited to something like 99 tracks. I'll use that version while on location from time to time when I either:
    Forget my dongle
    Don't want to risk losing/damaging the dongle
    Have multiple recordings at the same time in different locations.

Cheers-
    J.

9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Reaper is unreal... and so stable and so fast to load and takes almost no CPU compared to the other DAWs. It blows my mind.
    Reaper seems like a really good choice for location laptop DAW solutions so I'm watching you John! Samplitude is my choice DAW for sure and I'm getting more and more comfortable with it. Its stellar IMO. I should look but does Magix offer a free Samplitude that would be great for just tracking on location? I'm afraid I could loose my Sequoia codemeter stick too. Plus, I don't need all that for simple tracking on location, do I? Location recording is a new business opening up for me.

I've never imported audio into Samplitude (sequoia) yet. Can we import reaper tracks and what are the pro's con's to having to do this?

Good to see you here Cucco!

admin doing backend stuff for aka < audiokid for < aka < Chris:wink:

10. Cucco

I've gotta try Reaper!
    I'd really like to, ideally, grab my FF800, a 4 channel snake, 4 thin canare cables, mics/clips/stands and my MacBook Pro and do a recording. Right now, I'm lugging 500lbs of gear on location. Ugh... I could run Sequoia/Samplitude on Bootcamp and save having to bring out the PC too.

Anyway - yes, you should easily be able to import files from Reaper into Sequoia/Samplitude. I'm certain that Reaper saves the files as .wav files. Just find out how they're organized and labeled. Click the "w" key on your keyboard when you've selected your destination track in Sequoia and then select the file. Couldn't be easier.

J

11. TheJackAttack

Reaper will save them with whatever label you give them whether that is track1 or SteinwayD. I skinned Reaper to match the coloring of Audition but there are Logic skins as well as (I thought) Samplitude skins. It took a bit of digging to find the spot to deposit them other than doing a search within the preferences but for you Win7/Vista peoples the proper place is:

LocalDisk->Users->whatever user name->AppData->Roaming->Reaper->ColorThemes

Dump your bitmap folder here and make sure the *.ReaperTheme file is outside the bitmap folder. It should be apparent from the default setup of the latest version which includes a couple of themes.

@Cucco-Reaper is fast. And it takes no resources really to speak of. For fun I did some mixdown stuff with the wifi card on and surfing the web at the same time. No issues. I wouldn't do that on a gig mind you but Audition would stutter with that kind of interference.

12. damkenny71

damkenny71 Active Member

I can have 5 stereo submixes! 1 for me (digital out to my monitor controller), 1 for the vocalist ("MORE ME!"), 1 for the guitar ("WAY more me"), one for the bass ("DUH....I like me...") and 1 for the drums ("I hit things...YAY")

Hahahahaha very nice cucco!! This is going to be my second interface after my Presonus FireStudio Tube, how do those two compare?

13. TheJackAttack

The Firestudio isn't in the same class as the Fireface. That doesn't make it bad but it isn't equal.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed