1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Grace Design m908 monitor controller

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by audiokid, Oct 13, 2018.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Video on the Grace m905

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

yes the monitor section on an MCI 600 will do all that.

mastersection.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
  4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Atmos baby. I think multichannel audio is finally catching on. Laying down in a dark room and listening in Atmos will be amazing. Video games, movies, tv, are all better in surround, stereo doesn't even come close. I haven't heard much studio recorded stuff in surround, but Eddie Kramer had been hard at work for years futurizing tons of classics in surround. Great tech for sear sound, Dan Zellman, has also had his hands on some classics in surround, I believe the stones. Lol Kurt, I bet he could fix a grace. Although I noticed more cranesong stuff in his repair shop, so maybe those are a bit flaky, or maybe just there for some Zellman genius mojo. Either way, nice to see redundant PSU on the grace.

It's about time we see a surround controller, purpose made. It's a great way to not have to have a zillion channels on your converter at $500 a channel in $500 out. Console or controller mono couldn't be simpler than it is with one. I didnt realize the power a monitor section adds to the mix judgement experience until I used one.

With io conversion, aes, Dante, USB, this thing is state of the art, and really could be an all in one answer for a modern studio or post room.

22. ^#$%ing 2!!!!! 5.1 has faked me out a few times with vehicles and birds, like wtf. Me want ceiling speakers.

audiokid likes this.
  5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    absolutely

absolutely. This thing looks great.

kmetal likes this.
  6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    everything fails and they way I look at it, 10 years is about max for a product and by that time its outdated anyway. In 5 years there will be 32 I/O in something like this but it will also likely have a ITB mixer attached to it and incredible pres and converters that are lightening speed which will be really all a person needs to track.
    People who use stuff like this are into advanced listening and/or see how it is replacing most of the core of a recording system.
    The parts that would fail might be buttons. I used the Monitor ST for 5 years and it worked flawlessly. After I used that I really can't get excited about sound engineering without it or better. They are game changers to me.

7. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Considering mics, stands, cables, speakers, outboard, all last quite a while, and computers can be re-purposed, I don't think the depreciation of the computer or even conversion, is any big deal, considering how many times over they pay for themselves in a pro scenario, or just the years of enjoyment they yeild otherwise.

High end stuff always lasts longer, and I bet an apogee rosetta sounds cooler than a clarett which probably has better spec and a similar price. Old high end is usually better than new mid level at a given price. At least the high end stuff is what we are hearing in all the music in our collection.

Besides, I like hearing my old stuff thru new gear once in a while, it keeps things fresh.

It gets repetitive working in the same rooms, and same rig. I could literally tell you where the faders are gonna land on a typical mix done at the studios I was at, and bands I did live for. Especially in digital where gain staging is technical (-24-18dbfs), analog gain stages can be more creative, so you'd see different levels on the mix more often.

I enjoy the slow burn evolution of good tech.

Yamaha spx's still rock, so even dated stuff has it's place.

audiokid likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed