great river V's tl audio

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by miks, Dec 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. miks

miks Guest

hello all i have a dilema regarding the following.

I have a chance of getting a TL audio ivory 2 5051 mono valve processor for about $800 AU.

Now since ill be getting the waves musicians bundle 2 with compressor and EQ and stuff on it, would i be better off saving a bit more money and getting a one channel great river preamp and using the waves compressor or should i get the 5051 with the compressor? oh and im currently using a seb 2000evu.

thanks guys :cool:

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

IMO the TLA stuff while decent mid level gear, isn't as good as the Sebatron and nowhere as good as the Great River ... so I would opt for the Great River ...

3. miks

miks Guest

but is the compressor any good on the waves musician bundle. I think its the rennaisance compressor and eq. Will it be better than the 5051 comressor even though its a plug-in?

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I can not say, as I have never used the Waves bundles .... Waaaaay too expensive for me .... especially when you consider the expected life span is relatively short ...

I just use the stock plugs that came with Cubase, which btw are very functional and useable but really don't impart any kind of a sonic signature.

If I want the sound of a good compressor I use my Manley EL OP , Urei LA4's or 1178 going into the box. I have also used these comps at mix by as well sending the signal out and processing it again and returning it back to the DAW for summing and mixing.

I do the same sometimes for reverbs as well ... my Lexicon PCM 60, 70 and 80 all sound much better than any plug I have heard. It sounds much better when I do this but I lose the instant recall ability, so it's a trade off of convince vs. sound quality. If I think a client is going to be coming back with mix revisions over multiple songs, I mix in the box with the stock plugs .... but if I think I can leave the mix up and patched for a few days I will use the outboard..

5. Aziel

Aziel Guest

honestly...i found the new reverbs like the IR1 from waves a little better than the old lexicons...but, it just my opinion...