guitar recording and fret noise?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by neonknight, Jan 17, 2006.

1. neonknight

neonknight Guest

Guys,
    I am recording a guitar part with lots of gain and distortion
    What is the best way to minimise the noise produced by fingers moving across the fretboard...?
    I have tried gating, but it doesn't work very well..
    any suggestions welcome..
    thanks in advance!

2. Boltino

Boltino Guest

Not trying to nit-pick, but I think you are referring to string noise (the screeching sound that comes from sliding you fingers from one position to another). You could try Fingerease. Its a string lubricant that you spray on. A lot of string noise comes from playing technique, but this spray may help tone the noise down. Good Luck.

Wes

3. GavinMajesty

GavinMajesty Guest

Being a metal guitarist of 7 years, i figure i should comment.

You need to work on your technique. I don't use any of this spray rubbish. I simply take my hands off the fretboard and place them down on the new fret.
    No string noise.

And i realise someone is gonna come in and say "That's not economical movement". Probably not, but since i regularly play in the 190-220bpm range , i can tell you this technique works and isn't limiting.

Don't try and slide between chords, and if you must, atleast put your hand on the bridge in a semi-palm mute when doing so as this also helps kill string noise.

Hope this helps :)

4. neonknight

neonknight Guest

Yes, thanks, English is not my mothertongue and no matter how hard I try I would sometimes say something that sounds a bit odd to a native speaker :(
    I will try your suggestions guys..
    I have been playing for 10 years but I haven't recorded much, and it has become a problem now when I try to get a clean recording
    I am familiar with the spray, and a more cautious hand movement is also desirable of course..
    thanks again for your input!
    cheers!