Hardware set up for live discussion recorded for Podcast

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by curbahn, Aug 15, 2017.

1. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

I'm looking to buy a bunch of audio equipment for amplifying/recording live talks in front of an audience.

I want to be able to record each mic as it's own .wav file (into my laptop using Adobe Audition or similar) before sending it to the PA so I can separately adjust gain during the live performance without affecting the recording.

My plan for live sound : 4x Rode M2 mic > audio interface F https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E6T547Y/?tag=r06fa-20 Scarlet 18i8 main out into Yamaha MG10XU mixer > PA

For recording: audio interface > via USB into laptop

But how do I take four channels out of the audio interface so they go into four separate channels on a mixer ?

Or do I need a mic splitter as well ? There must be a better / cheaper way ?!

I'm going round in circles so any help would be HUGELY appreciated !

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

curbahn and pcrecord like this.
  3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Actually you could plug your mics into the Scarlett (Which has a internal mixer controled by a software) and do the mix there while recording.
    Then you could take the output of the scarlett directly to the PA. No need for an external mixer. BUT, it's not always working easy and you may need to EQ each mic differently depending on the speaker. Since the Scarlett only control gain, volume and pans, a mixer is then needed if you need more control.
    To do so, you need an interface with the same amount of outputs as mic inputs because each mics should be directed to a seperate mixer input to be properly mixed into the PA.

The realtime mixer of the scarlett let's you make the routing of the input and output... you can mix 1 mic per mix and send 1 mix per output. (some may be stereo output so you'd need to pan the input to make 2 mono

kmetal and curbahn like this.
  4. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

thanks both for the suggestions. Someone suggested I buy the Alto Pro Live802 and do a loop in the insert cable to make it an output with a simple soldering job !

So i'm going to go: person > mic > Alto Pro Live mixing desk > PA

& Alto Pro Live mixing desk> presonus audiobox 44VSL > laptop

5. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Build yourself four XLR Y-cables with long tails, done.

6. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The Alto seems like overkill for the scenario you are describing. Being that your flow is to send your mix out to a house PA, there are a lot of features to the mixer that you won't need - or likely even use - in the scenario you e described.
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but you just want to be able to send 4 separate mic/line signals out to a house mixer, so that you can control the volume of those mics without effecting the input level to your DAW, right?
    Your best bet would be to drop the concept of a mixer in between your DAW rig and the house PA, and step up to an audio interface - such as a Presonus or Focusrite - that has 4 discreet line outputs on the rear. These would be sent to 4 input channels of the house PA, where further processing could be dialed in (EQ, GR, Levels) separate from the input levels of the mics to your DAW. You would control the level of the signals being sent to the house PA using the accompanying software mixer that comes with those devices. Adjusting the line out gain this way to the house, wont effect the input gain to your DAW.

kmetal likes this.
  7. Kurt Foster

agreed ..... which is why i made my recommendation for the KORG thingie. you can set the levels to record 4 tracks of audio with the pre amps and then mix those to the house mains thru the faders to the 2 buss. cheap too. the only drawback to it is 44.1 / 16 bit .... but since it's only speech it shouldn't be a problem.

kmetal likes this.
  8. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'd just plug into the Scarlett which has enough outs to pass each mic into the PA or mixer if needed, or just use the stereo main outs.

I'd then just use a low buffer setting in audition or reaper like 64-128, or 256 if the laptop can't handle it. Using the built in channel eq in audition (if it still has it) or some pluggins if it doesn't. Latency wouldnt be an issue at these settings, especially for voice. Even amp sims in realtime aren't an issue (for me @256).

It's is simple as pluggin in the mics to the interface, and the interface to the PA/laptop, and record enabling the tracks.

Now you've got the ability to add eq and compression in realtime with very little bit to the CPU (assuming something from the last 5-7 years), and you have total control over the levels.

If the PA doesn't have an eq, you can eq the master out for feedback supession and/or room compensation.

its a nice compact easy setup, with full recall, and excellent dsp processing within audition. Compression is important for podcasts since most are not professional broadcasters and wouldn't have the type of mic technique and voice control a pro would. Less hardware means less physical gain staging as well.

The more splitters and hardware you add the more money, and potential problems and troubleshooting comes into play. Live is all about reliability first, quality second.

I'd take that money otherwise spent on a mixer and get a second hard drive for backup, or an isolation transformer for nice clean power, or one of those rack cases that has a holder for a laptop on top so setup was crazy fast.

9. Kurt Foster

it seems like using a sledge hammer to kill a gnat. the OP doesn't have a PA. he'd have to buy one. instead he can use the D888 as a mixer that records. then when it's finished, just plug the USB2 into a computer and it shows up as a hard drive on his desktop with out drivers, configuring bullsh*t etc.

kmetal likes this.
  10. kmetal

Home Page:
    True, I didn't realize the OP didn't have a PA. I was under the (mis)understanding he had the Scarlett, laptop, and PA, or was going to get them reguardless. My angle was to just use what they had to the fullest.

If that's not the case, i completely +1 your suggestion as it's just about perfect for the application and very reasonably priced.

Good call.

11. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I have know doubt it could work.. but Alto products are far for high quality.
    If you are going to buy your own PA. Look for a small Soundcraft or Allen&Heat mixer and amplified speakers. Some even has computer connectivity that allows you to mix live and record with a computer.
    Unless you prefer a stand alone recorder like the D888 that has been suggested.

But 1 important question hasn't been answered : WHY ??
    Are you gonna sell the audio or the audio/video ? What level of quality do you expect from the recording ? To be transcripted only or to sell it..?

kmetal likes this.
  12. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

do you mean far 'from' high quality ? uh oh .. I've bought it now

The audio will be edited and mixed down into a podcast

As i'm using Audio Technica 2010 condenser mics I want to be able to graphic eq the live sound and control if there is any feedback probs

the OP is a woman

thanks everyone for your help - the first event is on the 30th of Aug , I've now sunk £857 into kit so will let you know how I get on !

13. kmetal

Home Page:

Using the method i described will work fine for your purposes. You can use a graphic EQ on the master bus in your daw and/or a hardware eq on the PA.

If you use the method i described it can save you significant time during mixdown since your settings will be set already. Since your Eqing for the room, you may have to tweak or even restart the settings from scratch but you'll have a reference, at least.

14. pcrecord

Home Page:
    For podcast you'll be fine ! don't worry.
    Quality is relative of purpose. ;)
    You get Pro and amateur members here. And any others that drop by from a google search.
    I do voice overs with a mic that cost more than 1k into a 2k preamp into a 1k converter. So yeah there is better than the Alto.
    Do you need better, probably not.

One thing tho the Live 802’s built-in USB port allows engineers, producers, and performers to convert two channels of 24-bit audio (Main Mix or Sub Mix 1/2) straight to a computer. So with only 2 channels you won't be able to record 4 mics seperately.

curbahn and kmetal like this.
  15. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

I'll use the inserts as outs from the mixer into the audio interface _just learnt a trick to solder a loop in a 1/4 jack for this purpose :)

16. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

Not sure if I'll have access to a desk for the PA - as far as I know I'm just plugging into it ... and I don't trust my computer to do all that live processing .. it's a mac book pro but prob about 5yrs old, I've put more ram in but still, sometimes editing multiple tracks adobe audition will crash on me

17. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That doesn't sound right to me (and I'm not even a Mac user (anymore... it's been years).
    What CPU and how much RAM? The crashing you described shouldn't be happening by simply editing multiple tracks... unless we're at a semantics thing, with you using the term "editing" to perhaps mean something else. (?)
    This could be a simple configuration setting, either in your computer settings or your DAW. Your MBP is five years old... But What you describe still shouldn't be happening working with basic commands.
    I've done very dense processing work in the past on systems older (and less powerful) than your MBP, using what would now be considered to be totally obsolete by computer geeks...
    Do you have more than one audio device installed on your system? If so, have you checked to make sure the one you use for your editing work is the default device? Have you visited the manufacturers site to make sure your drivers (and if applicable, firmware) is up to date? Are you running a virus protection app that is active while you are working in your DAW program?
    Just tossing out some thoughts here....

curbahn and kmetal like this.
  18. kmetal

Home Page:
    All great thoughts from Donny.

I used run audition on a (2001) 566mhz celeron desktop, and later a (2006) core 2 duo laptop, and I used a soundblaster USB card, and later an m-audio FW1814. My average recordings were 8-24 tracks with some edits and punches and more pluggins than the tracks needed (lol first thing I was taught at the studio was less efx make a better mix in general, regiarless of CPU power).

Adobe audition not only sounds better than any other daw besides Samplitude, it's processing is easy on the computer. I'm talking I used to run multiple convolution reverbs.

So there's something not right as far as settings or hardware or configuration in general, because those systems are/were way less powerful than a MBP from even 10 years ago.

19. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    In Vegas Pro (and probably most DAWS) you could leave input monitoring on and mix ITB, no problem. I'd still prefer to have separate systems for live mixing and recording using simple XLR splits, especially if you already have the Yamaha mixer.

kmetal likes this.
  20. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Yes you have 4 inserts on the 802.
    But, you might not want to do this if the preamps of the interface sounds better than those in your mixer.. You need to test this first !
    The best audio path might be mic / interface / live mixer...

But WAIT, what I was talking about is to take your Alto mixer AS an audio interface (therefore having just this unit to bring to venues)
    Didn't you think of that ? this was the center of the discussion we are having !

I suspect you should have researched a bit more before buying it. (doubled, since the 802 wasn't a recommendation made here)