Hardware set up for live discussion recorded for Podcast

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by curbahn, Aug 15, 2017.

1. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

Ok I have since updated my laptop to Sierra and BOUGHT an annual subscription to Adobe Audition and am confident the crashes will stop now . Thanks for alerting me to take action on that front ...

As an audio interface the Alto only provides 2 outs, I want each mic to have it's own file so it's easier to edit for the podcast.

Ideally I'd have one unit to do it all but I felt that I would loose capabilities if I relied on one thing to do it all. Also, I want to be able to record podcasts in a studio with this kit - which I will be able to do by removing the mixer from the equation. I'm happy to have a mixer for live stuff and an interface for studio stuff.

kmetal likes this.
  2. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

TRUE ! hadn't thought of that. the presonus audiobox has 4 outs AND L/R main outs - just not sure if I can configure them to correspond with the 4in...

3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    That's why I was surprised of your choice.. A mixer / recorder all in one would have made a simpler setup.

Kurt Foster likes this.
  4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Yes the audiobox 44VSL has 4 in and 4 line out... it also has a realtime mixer that let's you choose what plays where. I have no doubt each mics could be assigned to different output.
    The realtime mixer also have effects EQ, Comp, Gate. This unit could be used without an external mixer (Which is the second senario we discussed earlier) ;)

presonus_audiobox_44vsl_testbericht_03.jpg

Attached Files:

kmetal likes this.
  5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    This is the option I presented early on in this thread. As long as the OP gets the Presonus model with the 4 line outs on the rear (in addition to the Stereo outs for monitoring), then the built-in audio box software will allow the user to route any of the mic inputs to the various line outs, and yes, HPF, EQ, GR and some FX can be applied to those mics in the software mixing section, pre or post.
    This is the scenario to use if there is a house PA resident. If not, you'd have to have a PA of your own.
    This interface/pre can be used in any studio environment with any decent dynamic, condenser or ribbon mics, and on any DAW platform.
    The pres are the Presonus XMax, same as in the Presonus SL desks. The converters are of a decent quality and would be fine for what you want to be able to do.
    -d.

pcrecord and kmetal like this.
  6. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

Help ! you're going to love this. I bought the presonus, the mixing desk and did the soldering on a 1/4 balanced jack to make the insert on the desk a direct out.. plugged everything in .. was dancing about with excitement at the fact it was all working and then suddenly i notice a hiss.. coming from the presonus. I quickly unplugged the 1/4 jack and the hiss there - always - on the presonus . Did I blow the preamp on the interface ? or was the hiss always there and I only just had the headphones loud enough to notice ?

farrrkk. so annoyed.

The solder job was like this: 1/4 balanced jack to 1/4 balanced jack. On one end I left all the wires as they were and joined the ring to the tip, and left the other end as normal. Then I plugged the soldered end into the mixing desk. Correct ? or is that the equation to blow up a pre amp ??

7. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Very unlikely that you did any damage. It's more probable that your ears adjusted to hearing what was actually there.

8. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I've never encountered hiss, or any noise coming from my VSL1818. I'm not saying it's not possible that your pre has an issue - but to echo Boswell, I don't think the soldering you did would have blown a pre.
    You didn't send anything powered to the Presonus channel, did you?
    Take the Alto mixer out of the chain.
    Plug in a mic, preferably one that doesnt require a huge amount of gain. Use a GOOD condenser (or dynamic) if you have one. Plug in your phones to the Presonus - start at a minimum input gain, low headphone volume and then gradually increase both the input gain and the headphones -and listen... is the noise still there?

9. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

I'm at work now so can't test, but I did remove the mixer from the chain there was still an audible hiss. Even in a recording which can't be right. I did notice the phantom power button was down on the mixer for a minute or so before I noticed and was using a SM58 so it wasn't needed...

10. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

yep the hiss is there , anywhere past about 2 o'clock on the knob and i can hear hiss.

11. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

but would the hiss come from allll four inputs if I'd blown just one of the preamps ?

every input sounds hissy after a certain point when I turn the knob , whether there's a mic plugged in or not

12. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    are you hearing this hiss while monitoring through speakers as well? Or just through the headphones connected to the device? I'm wondering if it may be the headphone amp in the Presonus that is faulty (?)
    How hot are you running the headphone volume?
    I seriously doubt you damaged any of the preamps.
    How difficult would it be to return the Presonus you have and swap it out for another one?

13. Boswell

Home Page:
    I just re-read this bit of one of your previous posts. If this is actually what you did, then your cable was TRS (balanced) jack plugs on both ends but now with the two signal conductors connected together. This would be correct for the pick-off at the insert jack on the mixer, but does not work for a balanced input jack on the Presonus audio interface. This is because they are differential inputs, i.e. they amplify the difference between the two signal conductors, which, if you have them connected together at the mixer end, is zero. The difference equation is never perfect, so you would still be able hear some signal, but you would have to turn the gain up a long way to hear it, far enough to hear the noise of the interface itself.

What I suggest you do as a trial is to take one of your modified cables and make a further modification. Where you have joined the tip and ring contacts, unsolder the cable wire that goes to the ring contact and instead solder it to the sleeve contact, i.e. where the cable screen is connected. Check that the tip and ring are still joined together and to the cable wire that goes to the tip connection. This means that, at the other end of the cable, the tip contact still has the signal but the ring contact now has ground, so the differential input sees the full signal.

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  14. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

I've packaged it up and sent it back to amazon - hopefully they give me a full refund . Ordered teh Scarlett18i8 instead. I don't think it was the headphone amp as the hiss was visible in the spectral frequency display .

15. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

interesting ! tbh I'm terrified to try anything now. I'm going to wait for a friend to come help with the soldering . but will tell him what you've said as most online info about the 'simple soldering loop' trick says to have a stereo 1/4 jack on one end and a mono on the other , would that be similar to your instructions ?

16. Boswell

Home Page:
    Yes, exactly. The usual route to make these cables is to start with a TS (unbalanced/mono) jack cable or loom and replace the TS plugs on one end only with TRS (balanced/stereo) plugs that have tip and ring soldered together.

In fact, taking your route and starting with a TRS lead actually results in a cable that rejects external interference better. This is because the + and - signal leads inside the screen are routed side-by-side from the source (mixer) to the destination (interface), so interference that manages to penetrate the screen and affect both signal leads gets reduced owing to the nature of the differential input that I mentioned earlier. This can't happen with a single signal conductor.

DonnyThompson, curbahn and kmetal like this.
  17. curbahn

curbahn Active Member

sooOOOoo it's better to use TRS balanced/stereo on both ends ? and like you suggest, (to just one end) connect the tip and ring but disconnect the original wire to the ring and instead, solder it to the sleeve / shelf (why does everything have multiple different names !!??) ?

Also, is there a way to test the cable before plugging it in (and blowing things up ) ?

18. Boswell

Home Page:
    I doubt very much whether the difference between starting with a TS or a TRS cable would have any noticeable effect in your proposed usage. But since you have the TRS cables, use one of them for the trial involving moving the ring wire. When trying out the extra-modified cable, I forgot to warn you to start with the interface gain control for that channel at minimum. It's unlikely you will need to move it from that position.

Testing of the loose cable is easy if you have a multimeter or some other continuity tester. With one probe on the tip contact at the interface end plug. you should get continuity (a buzz or beep) when you touch the other probe on both the ring and tip of the mixer end plug, but not the sleeve of either end plug. Move the interface end probe to the ring contact, and it should show continuity to the sleeves of both plugs, but not the tip contacts. Done.

curbahn and kmetal like this.
  19. Boswell

Home Page:
    Did you ever get your friend in to help with the soldering?