Hearing Test – Can You Hear This?

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by audiokid, Jun 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I've not tried this yet, but though it would be of interest.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

2. audiokid

Home Page:
    Doing this test, I hear 14k really well and after that it drops off fast, from 15k on it sounds pretty faint.
    I still hear the "hiss of a tone" after the start click up to 17k. Pretty sure I would hear 16/17k in a blind test but 18k, all I hear is the start click.
    Do others hear past this and if so, are you hearing this similar to me? I wonder how accurate this is. I mean, the internet lol :notworthy::rolleyes:

The drop-off from 14k onward is pretty substantial.

I'm 57 this year, I expected worse. However, I never exposed my hearing to loudness. Even playing live, I only played in bands that understood the benefit of low stage volume. Glad for that now.
    I notice my hearing is effected if I take an Aspirin or if I don't eat well or get enough sleep. Or when I remix all the loud mastered crap with that zzzz from accumulative aliasing distortion.

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I was able to hear up to 18, at which point, like yourself, all I heard was the start click.

The tones began to attenuate at 16k. I could hear them, but not as well as the tone before it.

4. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If you have the right soft are, generate your own - those ones are quite noisy and horrible, and I can't decide if I'm hearing the fundamental, or the noise that is superimposed on it!

5. audiokid

Home Page:
    I'm thinking the same. I actually asked my kids to listen to these and we were close to my findings, except my 6 year old said it was all irritating !
    Doing this online is pretty ironic. Never the less, to some degree it gave me a measurement to more understanding about LPF on the 2-bus. Through my testing between mixing and final capture (or mastering), I've read (and tested for myself) converters translate high freqs better when we engage a LPF. I mean, think about the information converters are trying to deal with when it comes to transients and phase shifting. Chris Muth describes this benefit, thus, built the BAX.. I bought one a few years back just for those Filters and I like what it does when I engage it. I think I'll roll off some more after this test!

6. paulears

Home Page:
    I can't hear 16KHz at all any longer - so I have a 5 minute 16K tone on my phone and it's great fun on the tube, or in a place with noisy teenagers - it soon generates space! Mean isn't it?

bigtree likes this.
  7. audiokid

Home Page:
    Oh man, that is awesome! We have a park just below us where the teenagers are swarming with parties at night. No one can sleep. I should put a speaker on the deck and let them have it! Right on. Stay tuned.

8. audiokid

Home Page:
    Update. I'm in the studio using my mastering gear and got the kids to do this once more. OMG! :coffee:

They do not notice a drop in high freq until 18k. In other words. 18k sounds just as loud as 14k. To me however, after 14k it drops off. So, without doubt I am no longer able to hear high end with accuracy. I've always used them to check my work but I know without doubt they are hired for the high freq curving when I mix now.
    I am so glad I just did this again.
    Mastering = 20 years and under from now on. :notworthy:

9. paulears

Home Page:
    PS - it's not so good if you have a dog! They don't like it! They can't locate it though. Big grassy area outside my house, turned up the volume and they slowly came towards the house - some were convinced it was coming from the sky, somebody else said a nearby car, nobody sussed the open window!

10. audiokid

Home Page:
    I have packrats around my lake home. I need to clear out all the dead wood there (5 acres), which I'm trying to get to but in the mean time, those stinky critters are on my death list. I have been trapping them in my shed but wondered if they would be effected by a high Freq sound like this. I know there are things you can buy but do they work.

"turned up the volume and they slowly came towards the house"
    Paul, I didn't quiet follow if the dogs were attracted to it, (even though they didn't like it)?