HEDD users - what clock?

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by erockerboy, Feb 28, 2002.

1. erockerboy

erockerboy Member

Calling all you HEDDites who are using the HEDD as your primary converter!

I'm trying to settle on a word clock topology and am wondering how you guys are making it work.

1. HEDD as clock master (using a word clock DA to distribute the HEDD clock round the studio)

2. HEDD slaved to AD-8000 as clock master (my current setup... maybe not ideal if HEDD is to be my main A/D?)

3. Dedicated external master clock for everything (a la Aardsync or Lucid)

4. Disconnect all clock cables and bathe in a luminous wash of digital pops and clicks.

How do YOU do it?

2. mixfactory

mixfactory Member

As a Heddite(I think that is the term), I use (2) clocks in my studio, an Aardvark sync2 for all the Digi related things and digital outboard. But I normally run the HEDD from its own internal clock when I am tracking through it. To my ears it sounds much better. I also own the Aarvark AES distribution box, which I have going from the HEDD to the box to ProTools,Masterlink and a Dat machine. This setup works great for me.

3. brad

brad Guest

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

After some 'hard to switch between' tests I settled on Apogee clock over the Hedd clock because to me it revealed very slightly more punch on the bass drum but that was on my old Hedd.....now that I have a NEW Hedd I may try the shoot out again.
    My Rosendahl Nanaosyncs sends w/c and video sync all round my 'facility' including w/c to the Hedd. Nothing is 'daisychained'.

:)

Jules

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I'm using the newer version of the Lucid Gen6x - one output set to superclock going to my ProTools 888 boxes, another output sending clock to my HEDD. I should probably clock up my Finalizer too, but I haven't used it in so long, I haven't bothered. I also admit, though, I've never bothered to try any clock shootouts on my own. I'm just accepting on faith (and from what everyone else says) that I'm getting a sonic advantage from doing things this way. Hell, these old ears can't hear $*^t anyways.

6. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Hey L.D. - Join the club on your last part - "these old ears can't hear $*^t anyways" - Here's a plan I may try - put an Earthworks omni in my left ear, run it thru 2 or 3 Symetrix pre's, and use the Tinnitus signal for studio WC - Maybe the $*^t will cancel out and we can hear reverb tails again... Steve

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I was trying to figure out a way of marketing my tinnitus as a test tone! :D

8. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

L.D. - All seriousness aside, something I'm keeping an eye (ear?) out for - I read about a year ago in one of those "coming attraction" columns in some trade rag (not audio) about a new "hearing" aid being finalized - Seems Tinnitus is actually audible in the ear, and some outfit was getting ready to release a "cure" - This device reportedly listened to your own personal "ring thing", inverted phase, and re-injected it into the ear - Naturally, it was going to be gawd-auful expensive, and I haven't seen anything about it since - If I do, I have this mental "list" of people who might be interested (Now, if I can just remember where I put the list...) Senility is such a wonderful thing, ya meet so many new friends... Steve

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

From Hi Fidelity to... :p

10. erockerboy

erockerboy Member

Yeah.... that's the bottom line.

One problem is that different sources seem to sound better thru different clocks. Ack!

Now that I have both the Lucid and Aardsync WC generators, it's time for another shootout. A necessary evil I suppose, but man, if there's one thing I hate it's doing A/B listening tests 'til I go crosseyed.

Thanks for the posts guys. Onward and upward!

11. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

OK so the noise doesn't bother you ......
    ... but what about the voices in my head????