Help! Groove Tubes 6TM Power Supply cable Pin out schematic/ ADAT Elco to 1/4" snaKes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by Jack Dupp, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp Active Member

I have an old Groove Tubes 6TM mic with the PS1 Vacuum tube power supply. The mic end looks like the Groove Tubes EC7 cable in that it has a 7-pin connector. The power supply end looks like an 9-pin ADAT sync connector almost like a vga computer display connector. I am in need of the pin out configuration so that I can build one or a source to purchase one. Also does anyone have any ADAT 56-pin Elco to 1/4" snakes. I am in need of at least 2 and as many as 4. No luck from ebay or the usual suspects.
    Thank you

2. aamicrophones

aamicrophones Active Member

Hi Jack, I don't have the pin outs but I have listed the two most common pin-outs below.

A good part of our business is upgrading Chinese microphones.

However, I have never done an 6TM.

But I could sell you one of our power supplies and dual 7 pin cables for $75. You might have to change the pin-outs at the microphone end.

If you send me a picture of the microphone circuit/connector with the sleeve off and the connector on your existing power supply I might be able to see how they have wired it.

We use the more common pin-outs listed below but Groove Tube could have used a different pin-out configuration.

1-+125v
    2-5.5v dc filament
    3-0-125v pattern selector
    4-ground/common
    5- audio out -
    6-audio out+
    7 ground/common connect to pin 4

My guess is that is much like a MA200 but with 3 patterns we use the same tube and a similar power supply in our CM28 tube pencil microphone but with our 7 pin configuration.

I just did another CAD8000 and they used a 6 pin which is what I believe Groove Tube changed to after the 6TM because folks didn't like that 9-pin connector.

Seven Pins are the maximum that you need and you can use 6 pins when you are not changing patterns from the power supply.

The spec's state that it had a capsule with 5 micron diaphragms. So, you might be in luck that it not to "zingy".

If the shield goes to pins 4 & 7 then its probably wired liked above.

The wiring for the 6 pin cables that we have come across is as follows:-

1-Ground/Common
    2-Audio Out -
    3-Audio Out+
    4-5.5v dc filament
    5-n/c
    6-125v dc plate supply/capsule polarization

Cheers, Dave Thomas
    Advanced Audio Microphones