Help installing monitors with Audigy platnum

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by TheDaMHatter, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. TheDaMHatter

    TheDaMHatter Guest

    Hi. My monitors take line level input only. I'm trying to figure out what kind of cable I should get to connect it to my sound card. I know I'm going to need some kind of y cable which connects 1 stereo output to 2 mono inputs. My monitors take 1/4" and xlr inputs. I'm trying to decide if I should come out of my soundcard's RCA SPDIF output, the headphone 1/4" out, or one of the 1/8" outputs from the back. If you think their's another option I'm missing I'd love to hear it. I really need to get the cable ASAP so I really appreciate your help.
  2. From the sounds of it you'll be better off using the stereo 3.5mm jack socket (the 1/8" stereo output on the card) to dual 1/4" jack plugs to connect to your monitors.

    However, this would mean controlling the level with the windows volume control.

    If you use the 1/4" headphone output on the front of the audigy breakout box you will have the dedicated volume control knob there but will need to be careful not to knock the connection which will be connected all the time (and not out of the way round the back of the computer) as this could damage the connection.

    If your monitors have their own volume control I would go for the connection on the back of the computer and not the front.

  3. hueseph

    hueseph Well-Known Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Time to invest in a new soundcard. You have a consumer soundcard get consumer computer speakers. If you want to use your prosumer monitors specifically for music, get a soundcard specifically designed for music production.

    and a dozen others all for less than the price of an audigy platinum and far better quality.

Share This Page