Help with home studio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by socalsupps, Dec 24, 2007.

1. socalsupps

socalsupps Guest

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some sound advice (no pun intended). I am getting back into music and recording and have the following items that I have blown the dust off!

-Yamaha Motif 6
    -Akai MPC 2000xl
    -eurorack 4 port mixer
    -m-audio speakers
    -CD Recorder or player? I bought this just before stopping so I forget what it was for but I think it is for the akai mpc 2000xl
    -Rode NT1 mic
    -Acustic guitar
    -Electric guitar
    -Dell Desktop PC

I definitly need to get a new audio program for my pc since all i have is cubase 2.0 and was told to get pro tools but I forget all the extra's that I would need to get. I am sure there are other things like instrument microphones and other stuff and I would love your guy's input. Any help you can be would be appreciated!

Let me know if I need to go into further detail about anything.

Jason

2. socalsupps

socalsupps Guest

anybody?

3. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'd look at Reaper and a decent 8 channel converter... maybe pick back up on things before getting too far back into gear.

With Reaper, you can essentially get a fully functioning DAW for $40. Amazing little program...

Of course I personally would also start looking into my room acoustics as well. A good sounding room goes a long way towards making good recordings.

X

4. EricWatkins

EricWatkins Active Member

...and so what is it that you CANT do with Cubase that makes you want to change DAWS?

5. socalsupps

socalsupps Guest

honestly I guess I could use cubase. But I don't know any of the additional hardware that I would need with it. I sold all of it when I was out of cash. Thankfully im in a position where I can afford to do things right. But maybe I should learn on cubase? I can definitly give it a try. Your guy's help is greatly appreciated. I am an expert in business but an absolute rookie in recording HA.

6. mobilelab

mobilelab Active Member

I would get a multi channel interface ( i have the motu 896hd, but there are cheaper alternatives). Cubase is ok, but I prefer Sonar. There are tons of programs out there, try a few. I don't recommend any Berhinger mixers, as all of the ones I've used bleed profusely. Garbage.

7. mobilelab

mobilelab Active Member

Also, Cubase doesn't require specific hardware like Protools, so that isn't an issue. Most DAW's don't. That is why I don't use protools; I dont like being pidgeon-holed into using their hardware. Of course, if I could afford the HDaccel 3 and the Ikon board, I would probably get them.

8. hithome

hithome Guest

is there a certain style of music that you're recording?

9. socalsupps

socalsupps Guest

well I am mostly into hip hop and R & b styles of music but will be using some live instruments which I am not used to recording at all.

10. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Uhhhh... yeah. What hardware does ProTools require?

11. hithome

hithome Guest

I would suggest maybe getting setup with fruity loops if you're making hip hop, and I think the hardware required for pro tools is if you're running m-powered, so the mbox. that's just my take.