Hiss with Nady RSM-1

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by RadioDavefm, Feb 17, 2007.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.

1. RadioDavefm

RadioDavefm Guest

Hello, I'm very new to recording.org, but I love the family sense that I see around the site so I already feel at home.

This is the problem I'm having. I bought a Nady RSM-1 ribbon mic a couple of months ago and I'm working on starting up a home studio. Well, home studio is putting it loosely. It's more like a hole in the wall...almost.

This is the hardware I have right now...
    Korg D4 track recorder
    Nady RSM-1 ribbon mic
    Prosonus TubePre amp
    DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate (upon the advice of a good radio friend)

My goal is to start up a voice over business. I work in radio doing on-air work part-time. I tossed up the idea of starting this up and got warm encouragement from co-workers to go for it. So I started to buy equipment piece by piece.

Now, I will say I'm an amateur and there have been some interesting learning curves along the way.

Here's the problem.....whenever I record with the Nady, I get a lot of hiss and some light hum in the background. I've tried doing subtle adjustments with both the pre-amp and the compressor and got rid of the hum. The problem is with the hiss. It seems no matter what I do the problem is still there.

I've tried tweaking the levels on the Prosonus, but the closer I come to getting the levels to hit zero, the hiss and hum get nasty.

I've tried setting up a tight compression with the 266XL and it does make the quiet parts quiet, but the hiss comes back with a vengeance in the bits I'm talking.

I've tried a loose setting, but the hiss is still there. I've tried everything in between but no luck. I did find a sweet setting where the hiss floor was low, but so were the recording levels and when I increased them. The hiss was back.

I even swapped XLR mic cables hoping that would fix the problem, but no go.

I did test the ribbon mic at my church's studio when I first got it and didn't have hiss issues although I did have a low rumble on the hum.

Suggestions!!?!!

I'm probably going to make another trip out to Guitar Center to buy a studio condensor mic. To find one about in the 100 dollar price range since that's all my budget can stand. I can always eq the settings on my pc to treat and give a mic a good vibrant sound. (I know...nothing will ever be as good as a 500 dollar mic on up.)

I do eventually want to give the Nady another go later. I love the ribbon mics, and I want to desperately make this work.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.