How Joshua Recording Studios Prefers to Track Drums!

Discussion in 'Drums' started by joshuarecordingstudios, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:

If you click where it says "repeat search with omitted results included" or something like that, then you can see all the posts.

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

I wasn't too bothered about finding this thread, you know...since I seem to have found it a while ago?

I thought the third result was something from Yahoo?
    And anyway, it was only to see how quickly google had indexed everything.

3. JesseMcKamey

JesseMcKamey Guest

Actually

Where I work none of this happens. If we are going to use samples we use a VDrum kit. Why would you want to go to all of the trouble to mic a kit up. Why would you even make drum scratch tracks? If we mic a drum kit up, we have a studio set up for that (with a kit already mic'd up and ready to go) but if the client insists on using their own, then we get into the replacing sounds. We only do that if one of the drums sounds bad and cannot be fixed in a timely fashion.

But at hte studio we work at production is so constant that maybe we had to do it that way because of time.

But usually, if we set out to record the drums then we do a take and try to get it tracked nice and loud before any of that other stuff is even thought about. That just puzzles me why you would record a scratch track for drums when you could do the exact same with some software after the band is gone home.

But hey what do I know, I just run the duplication department...lol
    I'm not trying to flame By the way, I am just...well wondering..
    Jesse
    8)

4. BrianaW

BrianaW Active Member

OMG! This is amazing!!!!!!! I watched them all and I NEED more!!! This is gold.

So let's see if I learned anything:

1. Use 58's for everything except vocals
    2. Make sure you have at least 1 piece of Behringer gear in your setup (preferably converters).
    3. Buy the most expensive headphones at Guitar Vendor... er, uh Center.
    4. Buy two boom stands cause you never know when you may need more than one!
    5. Buy a warehouse, get drunk, and record your CD that sounds like Manowar.

I'm just guessing on the Manowar thing... but it seems that there's gotta be at least a 50% chance right? :)

Thanks so much tobacco!!! You have definitely brightened my day! :)

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Every village needs an idiot.

6. The one that completely floored me was the one titled "Using Pro Tools Recording Sofware in a Home Recording Studio".

Now...

From the title you would assume that he is going to give you the low down on using Pro Tools? Wrong! He rips it to threads! :) lol

He goes on about Pro Tools LE "For a computer thing" which sounds "pretty digital sounding" having "no warmth" and here's the absolute belter, "flat as a plancake"! :cry: :lol: lol lol lol

Sorry if this is interupting the original post but I find these videos far better as a learning curve.

Maybe Joshua could invite Tad Donley over to his studio and they could collaborate and make the ultimate Pro Recording Manual. I would pay to see that.

Matt Damon comes to mind...

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Thanx for this Ben..........It seems that they didnt roast him too badly.

My guess is Joshua has ZERO idea what they usually do to unrepentant egoists on that site.

Son, you got off easy.

We have not been so nice here, but I wonder if the stark similarities of the opinions expressed here as compared to the opinions expressed there have any meaning to you at all?

I dont think you read whats being said.

Jeremy, lets leave this up for a few more hours.....it seems to have run its course....and NO ONE wants to hear parts 2 thru 6........

Then lets lock it. Its yer forum but I'll do if you cant get to it.

An apology for the name calling is at hand young Joshua. You have a little while to do so. After that I suggest that if you want to be a part of THIS community, you spend much time listening and learning. While we dont have the amount of upper-end engineers and producers here that reside at PSW, we still have very talented and knowledgeable folks willing to share what they know.

Its up to you.

8. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I'm very suprised at the response on PSW too. It's almost as if it was too easy for them!

We'll keep it up for a bit - I think you're right - there's a little more flogging of the dead horse here.

9. vander

vander Guest

Fun thread! Jeremy beat me to it, but I was also going to ask why not just use V-Drums? That's what I use! (Then again, I'm just a rinky-dink home recording guy.) What I like about them is that it's easy to get a sort of OK sound with very little fuss. What I don't like about them is pretty much everything else. I've been drumming for about 20 years, and I cringe every time I sit down at my kit.

Why use them then? Live playing. Yep, I like 'em for that -- Easy to set up and tear down, and a decent-ish sound. As I get older, I also appreciate the band not having to be so loud to compensate for the volume of the drums at smaller venues.

Oh, did I mention that I play in an 80's cover band? (Don't laugh!) Yeah, electronic drums kinda work there, too.

Good gosh, please don't let mine be the last post. :lol: [Scurries off to practice recording ... AND PLAYING! ... real drums.]

10. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Vander, excellent point.

I was hoping one of you cats would post something like this, keeps me from having to do so.

I mixed a country / pop cover band for a few years, their drummer had a VDrum kit (one of those with the mesh heads); Of course the samples sound like samples, but the ease of use on stage can't be beat - especially when everyone's wearing in-ears.

Were he to record in my studio, however, he would be playing on the in-house kit.

Thanks!

:cool:

11. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Regarding the PSW thread: honestly I think he got better treatment here. I'd rather be told up front than be the butt of all jokes until or if | was lucky enough to catch on.

As far as I'm concerned they raked him over the coals over there and he never even knew it.

12. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'll chime in with one last thought...

I think much of the commenting about Joshua was far milder here and at PSW than it would have been even a couple of years ago.

I cannot imagine the field day had the old $*^t Brigade been around, or if this post had shown up in the old Rec Pit, R.A.P. or even in The Womb.

Joshua... consider yourself one lucky young man...

If you care to engage in the discussion of recording and techniques... chime in, please. Just be cognizant that there will be differing opinions.

13. So, is it possible for Joshua Recording Studios to redeem its self after this post?

I know quantizing has been around for years, but toontracks has not! Never until superior 2.0 was release was you able to trigger drums (acoustic drums) and have them sound realistic. The only difference in sound is that it’s on time, which is the whole reason I use this method. I am perfectly capable of recording a drum set with only microphones and getting great drum sounds, the problem is a drummer that can play perfectly in time. Granted, you could do take after take for 10 hours straight on 1 song, but its much easier and time efficient to quantize, in the end everyone is happy. Mike portnoy wasn't happen with the sound of his drums on images and words, not the timing! The only problem Mike Portnoy had with sampling is that he didn't like the samples that particular producer was using. I do suppose, quantizing drum hits isn't for every style of music, jazz for instance probably wouldn't be the best time to start moving things around, besides, jazz drummers are phenomenal most of the time and they play on time better than a click track could, lol!

Also, when I started this method of tracking drums, I wasn't the best at quantizing and making the drums sound good with the samples that I had. I can see why you might be turned off by this method in the beginning but you if you keep persistent at it you will get better at it just like anything else.

If you are against drum replacement and you claim to be a 100% realist in the aspects of recording, then I am assuming you mix down your masters to tape as well. Because got forbid everything gets quantized in to 1's and 0's, hahaha!

Anyways, take it or leave it, how many more times do you guys want me to say it?

This method isn't for everyone, so if you want, you can use it, if not that’s fine to!

NO MORE NEGATIVE RESPONSES PLEASE, BY LEAVING A NEGATIVE RESPONSE YOUR ARE JUST SHOWING HOW GOOD YOU CAN MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF NOTHING!

Oh yeah, I suppose you guys don’t like Simon Cowell? Give me your thoughts on that one! He is a pro at giving his opinion and pissing people off, but he’s right most of the time I would have to say! He spits the truth, I like that! But don’t mistake truth for opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=roLX4ZW2Ldk

Late

14. EricUndead

EricUndead Guest

I dont think he gets it

15. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

I've got an Akai S900 with the drum module fitted
    :)
    anyone want it ?

I just wanted to be part of the thread
    :)

16. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Joshua said:"...because got forbid..."
    You're pathetic, Christian Boy, pathetic. Now scram.

17. vander

vander Guest

I think this is the crux of the issue.

18. It would appear they did:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/22149/0/

Joshua: Why post the Toontrack link?

This has nothing to do with your original post. You said you replaced and edited acoustic drums after recording them, this does away with them! Maybe you should have watched the video prior to setting up your studio. Could have saved you some cash.

Anyone who has heard of Simon Cowell will know he knows his stuff, doesn't matter if they like him or not.

Are you seriously referring yourself to him? lol, good one!

I think it's time you took it like a man and admit you went the wrong way about things when you joined here. Maybe then you will salvage what's left of your rapidly decreasing popularity.

I don't care if you want to go on and on about how we are all wrong. It won't do anything to my business rep as I don't have one! You however should consider the fact that you do and you should have nipped this in the bud LONG ago!

Although, I'm easily amused and could do with more of a laugh if you wish to continue...

19. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Yes.

See, now it appears as though you're happy about your software. This isn't a bad thing. Just realize that not everyone will share your enthusiasm - engineers, drummers, and (maybe some) producers may actually prefer the organic nature of real drums. And yes, even Superior 2.0 sounds like fake drums.

You seem hell-bent on this "on-time" stuff. First, what drummers are you recording that can't get close enough to the click that they NEED to be quantized?

Second, replacing a drummer because he can't stay on time is exactly like replacing Ron Jeremy because he gets soft early. Ron wouldn't be happy about that, neither should your drummer. (Maybe we should all consider wearing WWRD bracelets from now on?)

Who the hell is mangling your drum kit that it takes you 10 hours to fix the timing?
    chimpanzee-glock.gif
    (I edited this because I made an unfair attack against an entire group of people - besides, even mentally handicapped individuals could play drums correctly enough to not need editing for 10 hours...)

Just think, if they had just recorded the drums that Mike was playing, he would have liked the sound in the first place.

Dude, I've been playing with MIDI and quantization for 23 years now. Drums are easy to quantize.

Nope, I stay digital here. Also, bear in mind, quantization to 1's and 0's in the digital realm have nothing to do with quantization of sounds within the X time domain. It has to do with quantization of amplitude in the Y envelope. 24 bits represented by 1's and 0's represented every sample.

We don't want you to say it anymore.

Fine.

Where this would have been appropriate then, would have been on someone's post on this forum about how to record drums using samples. There's at least 200.

Oh, heck yeah. I can make a HUGE deal out of nothing.

First - are you equating yourself to Simon Cowell?

Second - Simon is a Blow hard. His whole purpose on the show is to bring the conflict to the show that Fox requires. What he spews may be true in many cases, it's venomous. In other cases, he completely glosses over piss-poor performances with horrible intonation issues. He has a role to play and he does it well.

How about looking at it from this standpoint -
    You're the contestent here on RO and Dave, Bent and Me are Simon. (I'd say Remy too, but she's got more of an angry black man trapped inside of her than a cheeky brit. Perhaps she's a rabid Randy...certainly not a Paula.)[/img]

20. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Let me consult the "magic 8 ball"... "The answer is unclear. Try again later."

That's not the point kid. The point is that "WE" don't really want you to say anything other than "I guess I should have not posted this in the way I did." and leave it at that. But your following statement kinda' proves that you just don't seem to get it that you are fanning your own flames in typical toll-esque style.

WRONG! By you failing to actually listen to the community which is telling you to politely shut up and listen, you keep bringing more and more negativity upon yourself. It's not the other way around.

For those of us who do not subscribe to your methodology, it IS a big deal when you fail to recognize that we too are entitled to our own opinions. Oh, you say you recognize that we're entitled, then you attempt to excoriate us for disagreeing with you and are obvious in your failure to actually listen to reason.

As in too late?? Probably

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.