How Joshua Recording Studios Prefers to Track Drums!

Discussion in 'Drums' started by joshuarecordingstudios, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

The answer to the first question is "No" if you continue to make delusional, self aggrandizing statements like the second statement. I'm afraid that you are the one who needs to learn the difference between the truth and an opinion. You also need to learn the difference between an opinion that is grounded in extensive experience and the opinion of a novice. You need to learn the difference humility and arrogance. You need to learn the difference between honest salesmanship and unsubstantiated hyperbole.

Just to repeat what has been said before but you can't seem to get through your head: Many of the people here have a substantive disagreement with you on the subject of quantization and sound substitution. But that's a good thing. We like substantive exchanges. The reasons people are getting on your case so strongly are:
    1. You started out giving a very unsubtle sales pitch for your business.
    2. You represented yourself as having secrets and inside information - and far more experience than you actually possess.
    3. You implied that your methods were superior to others (the truth rather than opinion).
    4. You insulted the character and motives of those who disagreed with you.

Go back and read your posts. You just can't seem to resist bragging and taunting. You still have not been able to gauge your audience. Until you have fixed these problems, I'd give up any thought of trying to write articles. You just aren't any good at it. (An opinion from a professional author.)

2. If you haven't at least tried
    my method with ALL of the software that I USE, then you have no right to say I dont know what I am talking about! Not only do you need to try before saying I'm clueless, you need to get good at not only quantizing ( which yes is easy) you need to get good at making your drums sound realistic. They sound like fake drums, well I guess you didn't watch the link, they are in fact real drums recorded with multisamples meaning every sound you need is in the software, you just have to find it.

I will continue to defend my method because I use it, you dont have to use it if you dont want.

As a matter of fact, I am heading to the studio right now to record a band that comes to me for this reason.

late

3. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    This Simon sez: No golden ticket for you!

Time for me to repeat myself, from page two I think:
    The main problem I have with your original post is that a majority of us have been there and done that, it's no big deal, no secret.
    Most people here know what drum replacement is, and quantization. Hell - alot of us know what dither is and use it purposely, not just because it seems like it's the right thing to do. How did you word it on the Mastering thread? Let's see...
    A-ha, about dither you said:
    I've been shakin' my head at this one for hours now. :roll:

You appear to have a fairly lucrative business going on; A number of bands seem to trust you and your abilities... Kudos to you.

However, if you keep it up on these and PSW's pages, you're going to find your fan base begin to dwindle - then in short notice we'll all be on Ebay making comments about how much you're tryin' to auction that POS Bluetube preamp for.

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I dont think we've had such a discussion with a block of wood since.......well, since JP himself.

SimonDogg sez,,,,,,,,I thought it was dreadful. It was seriously flawed and you seemed to not care about what your audience thought about it. You'll be lucky to make it through to the next round.

5. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Edited.

Sorry Space -
    While I did laugh, it was at personal attacks. Don't take it personally - you're still okay in my book.

Jeremy

edit:
    He is my son!!!!
    Do you not think I do not know how his Mother dresses him?

6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

No...I watched the link. And besides the talking head doing a LOT of name dropping and the drum set with a snare that sounded like ass, all I heard was more talk about samples.

Samples, by their very nature, are samples of REAL live instruments.

This doesn't make them quality at all.

There are SO MANY VARIABLES to real instruments that samples simply cannot achieve. One of the biggest problems is true decay of cymbals. When hit properly and left to decay, a thin crash or large ride can ring for a very long time. The samples in these librarys have quite finite cut offs making them almost instantly identifiable.

Basically, what's lost is the key ingredient to a good drum kit - the wholistic presentation of a single instrument made up as a sum of many different components. Instead, you get a "great sounding" tom or two, some interesting flavors of snare, a killer kick and some acceptable quality cymbals. Put it all together though, and you're still dealing with all of the parts, not the sum thereof.

No sample library ever can recreate this and it is for THIS reason alone that these kits are useless in my opinion.

7. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    (Edit - Oh, now it's a monkey with a gun? OK!)

JP,eh?
    Let's compare and contrast a few of these nuggets of wisdom, shall we?

I'll leave it to the rest of you'se guys to figure out who wrote what...

8. taxman

taxman Active Member

This thread should be ended.

9. Cucco

Agreed.

It's run its course.

10. Davedog

I like the gun monkey J.

Okay. So as a service, I thought I'd give the benefit of doubt and go listen to samples of J****Rec**^%%*S**#@@@os. No, I will NOT link you here.

Dude. You have a serious monitoring problem......At least thats what it sounds like to me. Yes, I AM listening on the COMPUTER MONITORS....YES they are ALTEC LANSINGS......YES....they suck in one of the best ways ever. Its like a pair of horror-tones with some highs....If it sounds good here, then when I take it down to the studio and the GENELECS it probably will kick ass...

ALL of the samples have a veil over them. Theres something not quite right in the EQ. Its LOUD. I suppose after listening to your mastering drivel and your penchant for replacing anything real and organic, that this is the end result. Nice, if you like to put out lifeless, sterile, completely holloweyed dunnage that seems to be all the rage.

Theres folks on this site with bedroom set-ups that smoke your crap. Seriously.

Now. Its time you heard the reality of posting here.

The ONE MAJOR THING we all strive for is accuracy in our posts. The REASON is there are a LOT of beginners that come here to learn. If there is a bunch of heresay, or information that isnt exactly truthful or portrys a methodology that is less than desireable, then its up to the Mods to protect the unwashed and curious to this harmful information. I have been recording odd bits of noise for 30 years.(more but whos counting).. While I have sat in on a number of mastering sessions and know what the gear does and why, I would NEVER pretend to be a mastering engineer. Ever.

Eliminating pops and clicks, drawing the fade-outs, setting the 'ceiling' for the levels....knowing how to do these things does NOT make you a Mastering Engineer.

Most of the folks on here can prep a project for mastering. I do it well enough that the M.E.s actually LIKE me as they dont have a lot of 'fixing' to do. Most can do this.

And you dont hear ANYBODY puffing out their chests and bleating loudly about how their skills are such that they deserve to be lauded for a job that is basic in its concept and REQUIRED to be a viable commercial entity.

Its the MAJOR reason that those amoungst us have reacted so vehemently towards you........that, and the fact you act like a tool everytime someone refutes your "Secrets".

Read this carefully. There WILL be a test.

11. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

I'm with Bob. I think we've all replaced something in some manner shape or form, with or without computers. I mean, I used to fly vocals & instruments into jingle tracks after laying back to a 2 or 4 track machine because the 1 inch 8 track just wasn't enough. So it wasn't unusual to find that you had 24 composited tracks into 8 before the final mix.

We've all cheated with our computers on a regular basis. It's just how badly and/or how much you like to cheat at things? I mean if that's what makes you feel good & alive & a genius, you should do it. It's not really hurting anybody. But the music business and the business of making music. But hey, all of the good melodies have already been copyrighted and there aren't any more that are not already a copyright violation of somebody's. I'm lousy with math but I know math is like music. So think about this. When you used to call your friend on the phone two blocks away from you how many numbers did you used to dial? Right, seven. How many you have to dial now to get the same friend? Exactly, 10. If copyright law is based on a finite number of sequential Notes and that number happens to be under 20, at some point everything will or already has repeated. So I think the copyright office is another failed fraudulent federal racketeering associated bunch of folks, designed to make the rich guys richer and the poor guys poorer. Especially since the average songwriter can't afford the same kind of high-priced attorneys as the bigwig greed mongers can.

So samples will obviously proliferate because nobody is allowed to write any decent music anymore. Nor need to have decent musicians or instruments since everything can be replaced, including real recording engineers. Obviously, anybody with a Sound Blaster card knows what they're doing.

DON'T STOP DON'T STOP DON'T STOP (just a sample of what's to cum)
    Ms. Remy Ann David

Oh to be young again
    Ms. Remy Ann David

12. Cucco

Alright Remy...it's not fair to comment on the topic when the non-mods can't...so we'll open it back up for a bit.

Okay, BobRogers, correct me if I'm wrong here -

The chances of this occuring would be 1 over 12 to the 12th power or 1 over 8.91610045 × 10(12th power). Then, if you factor into the equation the various chords and/or inversions and octaves, the number increases far greater than exponentially.

Herr Professor - I defer to you on this one as this kind of math is most definitely NOT my forte.

Based on my numbers though, I'd say there are a fair bit of melodies out there that Mozart and Haydn didn't even touch on, much less that have been copyrighted since 1922.

13. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Well, I tried to post this at 3:43 AM when the dog woke me up, but some thing was wrong with the RO system or my system or something. Anyway, don't depend on anything I say. But the number of sequences of 20 tones in the standard scale is 12 to the 20th power or 3,833,759,992,447,475,122,176. The odds of two people choosing the same sequence at random are even slimmer than the odds that someone will enjoy the academic classical music based exactly those random choices. Now its time for Zantac for me and a milkbone for the dog.

14. Cucco

Duh...of course, there are 20 instances of opportunity, not 12. That's what a lack of sleep and a sour stomach will do to someone's brain...

15. EricUndead

EricUndead Guest

I have waisted to much time reading this drama that I could have been learning. Damn me, I'm so easily distracted.

Watching everyone try to tell a brick wall the same thing over and over again, then the brick wall fights back with another seemingly pointless remark.

I wonder if I could turn this into a sitcom some how.

Bahh!

16. Cucco

Yet you still felt the compelling need to reply and add to the pile of meaningless drivel...
    I understand - been there, done that.
    WAIT....I just did it again.

17. watch the video, I dont want to hear it!

First of all, none of you are Simon Cowell! More like Paula cause you guys sound drunk!

LOL

18. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Seriously though, what school do you go to? You should have one of your teachers come here to back you up. Really though. Are you brave enough to do that? Or, why don't you post a link to this thread on your myspace site? Let your clients come and back you up. Bet that would be good for business.

I wonder if your teachers would find it beneficial to have your school linked to this thread?

19. Davedog

Its TOO late chippy. You are what you are and you havent even tried to understand what we've all been saying about being a part of THIS community.

Methodology or not, you still refuse to integrate yourself here as most peole have....those that did enjoy the place....you still seem to want to force-feed your flawed attempts at recording and expect us to swallow it whole. Aint gonna happen buckwheat.

You are ,as Max put so eloquently, one of the reasons the music industry is in such a shambles these days. Its the heartless, lifeless recordings that continue to pile load after load of crap onto the steaming heap of mindless musical pap that keeps things the way they are.

Nevermind artistic relavancy, "lets just get it prefect".....

Yeah it blows.

And you are going to hear it. Day after day after day until you leave this site never to return.

You're an ungracious mindless drone and as far as I can tell you have no viable information to share with this community.

Get out before I toss you out.

20. taxman

taxman Active Member

When Moderators and past moderators are playing the game of who said what first about whom all objectivity is lost and the value of the thread nil.

Please end this for all our sakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.