How much compression for TV??

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by joy4u, Apr 30, 2002.

Tags:
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. joy4u

joy4u Guest

Assumed that i compose and produce music within Pro Tools Mix and the master will go to a Post suite, where they will add voices and sfx using a Fairlight Prodigy and then they will squash the result with a multiband compressor and finally it will be cut on D1:

How much compression should i apply????
    If i compress much , the 2nd compression will kill the sound and if i don't compress enough, the final result will be less loud than the concurrence .... what should i do?
    Thanks

2. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

I would produce like you normally do and the reason I say that is that once it's out of your hands, all kinds of things can happen to it. Case in point, I friend did the audio post for a TV spot. I saw the spot and noticed the entire center channel and V/O was missing. I realized that somewhere down the path to air, that a phase reversal in wiring caused the trouble. I brought it to his attention, and his reply was exactly as above.
    --Rick
    RO Audio/Video/Film

3. joe lambert

joe lambert Active Member

Home Page:
    I would not over compress it just because it's going out to TV land. Mix it as usual, if it happens to be a very dynamic piece of music, then error on the side of a little more comp. Once it's going out over the air they are going to run it through a hard limiter anyway. Try to get a copy of it after it leaves the post house to make sure it's what it should be.

Joe

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed