How to find a good producer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sproll, Feb 4, 2005.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

  1. sproll

    sproll Active Member

    Oct 7, 2004
    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking for some tips on finding a good producer. The ones we are looking for are fairly well known, just because we like certain albums and usually they are top notch producers.

    We have tried contacting them but obviously, they don't write back. We are a nobody band from Canada and I'm sure they have better things to do than to write us back. The thing that sucks is that we are willing to put whatever effort and money into the project that has to be done, but we just can't attract their attention.

    Anyone have tips? We obviously need contacts in the biz but it's hard when you're first starting out.

  2. maintiger

    maintiger Well-Known Member

    Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Hi Tom-

    How about posting a link to some of your music and posting again with a heading like 'looking for producer in... (whatever your are is)' RO is frequented by many pros and if someone hears you and likes you he/she might be interested. Not a guarantee, but yet, it might work.... You could also post in other boards, in fact, get the word out any way you can!
    Good luck to you and hey, thanks for yielding your place in line :mrgreen:
  3. wwittman

    wwittman Active Member

    Apr 28, 2003
    Do you have a label or are you funding this yourselves?
    The label should be able to track down producers.

    Have distribution?
    A producer, especially the big names, is going to want to know you have a real shot at selling records.

    Many producers also use managers as a firewall... try to find out who manages your candidates and contact them.
    they should certainly get back to you, whether interested or not.
  4. sproll

    sproll Active Member

    Oct 7, 2004
    maintiger: Thanks for the idea... I will do that and re-post a new topic in this section, hopefully no one minds. And no problem on yielding my spot hehe. :)

    wwittman: No, we do not have a label... we are just starting out. We think we have a really good group of people and some great songs, so we don't want to waste them by doing it ourselves and getting nowhere. We are really committed to seeing this thing through and want to have professionals help us because we have neither the gear or expertise to do it right.

    We do not have distribution as of yet either. This is our first full length album that we will be recording so that obviously is not secured yet.

    However confident we are in our talent and songs, I realize it is quite the leap of faith for a producer to want to help out a first time band. This is understandable, but nonetheless we are still looking. There is funding available from our province and country which will pay up to 75% of the project costs, and we will come up with the rest of the 25% ourselves. Since we've started playing together almost 2 years ago we have taken ALL the money that we made gigging and put it towards some recording equipment so we can get some good pre-production work done. We are highly motivated to working hard and getting the rest of the money we need for the project, so that will not be an issue. The issue is finding a good producer who is right for our project and who wants to help us.

    I am posting another thread entitled Sproll - Looking for a British Rock Producer, which will have links to our EPK, songs, etc. If anyone is interested, please at least have a listen. :)


  5. mjatas

    mjatas Guest

    My suggestion is sending these producers some demos or samples of what you sound like or what you do and also get a site up to. Websites tell people a lot about you.
  6. sproll

    sproll Active Member

    Oct 7, 2004
    Yeah, I have a posting just below this where I've put a link to some tunes and our press kit.

    We've got a couple of bites 8)

Share This Page