I/O Box Suggestions

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by RobertPhilbeck, Oct 5, 2003.

1. I'm shopping for a box that will allow me to transfer tracks off my 8-track reel into a software program like Cubase SX or Samplitude (both of which I am demoing) for mixing.
    I've been recommended the Delta 1010 and/or the Echo Layla 24. I could go with either, but wanted to see what else might be out there for me to check out. I am new to software recording and mixing so feel free to speak in laymens terns.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Also consider that you might find it much more economical to buy a two input soundcard and just record two tracks from your eight track at a time. Unless you plan on doing multitrack recording in the future.

3. Tape has a tendancy to stretch just a little, or never rewind to the same exact location, so there would be more variables there than I am willing to tolerate. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Robert

4. laptoppop

laptoppop Guest

Another quality option is the Aardvark Q10 - handles 8 channels at one time, and has high quality preamps and converters.

-lee-

5. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

I assume hat if you're demoing Cubase or Samplitude you already have some kind of soundcard for your system; in this case I'd investigate some RME 8 ch I/O box, like the ADI 8 Pro or ADI 8 DS (for double sampling rates): quite affordable for the quality they offer as converters, plus they have a slew of other features that make them really handy, like Word Clock I/O, TDif, ADAT and analog I/Os, so they can be used as format converters too. Lots of users (myself included) used them with great success.

If you ave the budget an Apogee Rosetta 8 Ch would be a very sweet converter, but maybe a bit of an overkill if you only need it to trannsfer 8 track reels of tape to DAW.

Hope this helps

L.G.

6. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Didn't think about that Robert. But digital multitrackers like SX have all sorts of facilities to fix these sorts of problems.

Just my 2 cents. There, I'm broke.

mitz

7. Solar

Solar Guest

Got mac?

Metric Halo 2882 if you got the cash.

8. bopmachine

bopmachine Active Member

:tu: RME Multiface. I have been doing just exactly this, but with Samplitude. It's easy, it works, and sounds great!