1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

If You're not using Samplitude...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by DonnyThompson, Jul 31, 2014.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    This DAW is no toy, it needs to be loaded into an optimized PC. It will take TIME to re-curve your brain and get onto the workflow (DON'T GIVE UP!)
    Its very much like a big beautiful recording console with so much more than you see at first glance.

2. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

I exported COmfortably Numb from Cubase into Sam. 31 tracks.

OK, I had my browser open during this! I was viewing tutorials and stuff. OK, my bad!

Cubase would have barfed if I did that. Samplitude just had rough faders. No skipping!

3. JohnTodd

My PC is very much optimized. I'm a former Prof. of CompSci., etc. I built this PC and have it tweaked to the hilt. Except that I have a browser on it to check the weather.

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Right!

being said, Weather is usually always running in the background, a bad java program? I would never use that on my DAW, John.
    You need a smartphone for weather these days. ;) Joking aside, I would take that off if I was you.

5. JohnTodd

Very true. The Mrs. has said she wants to buy me a PC for "everyday use and watching movies". :love:

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Happy Wife, happy life!

you now have 31 tracks, all mono?

Create 2 Aux track too - (Reverb, Delay)

7. JohnTodd

In a few I'm going to email you a link to a test run I just did. My ears and brain are shot for the day, but I think it already sounds better than the Cubase version.

8. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    FWIW

I'm running an HP quad core/2.8g processor with 8 meg of Ram. I also have several other DAW platforms residing on the same PC (Sonar, StudioOne, Harrison MixBus, PT, as well as Sound Forge and a few other 2 track editing progs...)

And Samplitude runs seamlessly and effortlessly on my system.

My latest go at this re mix ( again but this time in Samp) involves 48 tracks... and not one hiccup... not even a sniffle.

It runs great.

9. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    8meg of ram ?? or 8gig ? ;)

thewonders likes this.
  10. JohnTodd

Mine is a quad @3.8Ghz with 8Gig of RAM, and Sam runs much better than Cubase.

How in the HECK can Samplitude Pro X boot in about 4 seconds while Cubase takes about 3 minutes?

11. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Yup. I found the exact same thing as well, compared to Sonar.

Although it might be that I haven't directed Samplitude to load every single plug on my computer. Just a guess.

And truthfully, after hearing Samp's processors, I don't even need to have it load all those vst's; waves, voxengo, fabfilter, or any of the other plugs I have. I'm more than happy with what comes stock in Samp.

LOL... my bad... 8 GIG

LOL... 8 meg... as if I could even run a calculator app with that.

12. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Ok guys, I took time to import the same tracks to Sonar X3 and Samplitude Pro X

View: https://soundcloud.com/pcrecord/sets/samplitude-vs-sonar-no-mix-just-pannings

Don't say it's not mixed right, it's not a mix, just the plain tracks, no volume changes, just panning.

Let me know it you hear a difference and please let a side the placebo effect ;)

BTW, those tracks were made in a 10x11 room with the Liquid Safire 56, an Octopre and a ISA 2

13. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    No discernible difference to me, at least not that I can hear in these tracks. The again, you were using X, and I based my findings on Sonar 7.2.5, and PT 8.

Yours is also not nearly as dense of a mix as I'm used to working with either, especially in relation to the current tracks of "Still See You", which incorporates several electric guitars, a B3, 3 synths, multi layered backing vox, lead vox, bass, piano, acoustic guitars, etc.

Perhaps this is where the difference lies, in that the more tracks the project has, the more Sonar was smearing the sonics, and the more clearly Samp played them.

Or, it was an issue related to the version of Sonar I was using.

As a side note, I have to say I liked the song that you used, PC... very hooky, fun.

14. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    We should have a workshop in a while. I'd like to see you guys use Samplitude for a while, then talk about how to improve your/our mixing.

15. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I'll try to mix the song in both DAW next week

16. JohnTodd

Does Sam have an "Arranger Track" like Cubase does? Maybe it has a different name in Sam? I'm loving Samplitude and really want to ditch Cubase, but as a composer I really need an arranger track.

17. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I'm not sure what that is, John... could you elaborate?

18. JohnTodd

OK, let's say I'm creating a new song.

1. I get an idea for a riff. I play it a few times on my guitar. I figure out the tempo and set it on Cubase.

2. I record the riff with the click track running so it all lines up on the grid.

3. I repeat all this a few times creating the chorus, verse, intro, and changes/breakdowns, the outtro, etc.

4. I go to the various places on the timeline and create the drum parts, then the bass guitar parts, and some synth.

I now have a completed rhythm section for the song, but it's all scattered and out-of-order and does not repeat.

5. I call up an Arranger Track on Cubase, which sits on the timeline like any other track.

6. I go to the various sections, say, the Verse, and on the Arranger Track I draw a box with the pencil, and label it "Verse".

7. Same thing for all the other parts: Mark and label the Intro, Bridge, Chorus, changes/breakdowns, outtro, etc. Just whatever the song needs.

8. Now everything is labeled and Cubase knows what each and every section is, according to how I have labeled them, but they are still scattered.

9. I call up the Arranger Track's Inspector. This is the place where you would put plugins if it were an audio track. But on the Arranger Track I tell it the order I want things put in, like this:

1/ Intro
    2/ Verse X2 (play it twice)
    3/ Bridge
    4/ Chorus
    5/ Verse X2
    6/ Bridge
    7/ Chorus
    8/ Chageup #1 X2
    9/ Changeup #2 X2
    10/ Breakdown!
    11/ Chorus X16 (for a fade-out later on in mastering)

So now Cubase knows the order and repititions I want.

10. In the Arranger Track Inspector, I push the magic button and:

BOOM!

11. The entire timeline is wiped clean, and all the sections are cut/copied and pasted onto the timeline in the correct order with the correct repetions. I can now play the entire song from start to finish! Every musical item I have programmed in so far is now on the timeline. In this example, that would be a scratch guitar, perfect drums, perfect bass, and perfect synth parts.

I save it all to a new file, open the new file, and begin the long process of perfecting the song, adding parts, tracking vocals, and putting in the official guitar parts, solos, etc.

-John

19. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I don't know John... (but thanks for explaining that process.. itt seems likea cool feature).

I've never used a process like that in my workflow.

Either Chris - or Tim Dolbear - needs to chime in here on this one...

20. JohnTodd

Can someone who knows Tim PM him?

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed