1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

If You're not using Samplitude...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by DonnyThompson, Jul 31, 2014.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. TimDolbear

TimDolbear Active Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Nothing in samplitude to do this as easily as Cubase does. But with out sounding condescending, that is not something we get request to do as most all of our users are recording real instrument on songs that are done, i.e. producing. Also Samplitude and Sequoia are made for recording, editing, restoration, mixing, mastering, CD creation and Broadcast. Its really not the best as a writing sketch pad. It does do midi, very well in fact, and I use it for composing, and never really wanted a garageband style song creation thing...MAGIX does have a product call Music Maker that is made for doing what you are asking. Again, not trying to sound condescending or anything, just info.

If you get board, check our my Web show
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqEqoOpo9c&feature=youtu.be

Its all about producing and I use Sequoia/Samplitude through out.

JohnTodd likes this.
  2. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

It's cool. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll give Music Maker a try. I'm looking at the website now. Can you tell me quickly, will I be able to export the midi files for my drums, bass, and synth (for example) from MM so I can load everything into Sam to do the finishing on it? I'm thinking do the sketchpad stuff in MM and then switch to Sam. What do you think?

Thanks!
    -Johntodd

3. TimDolbear

TimDolbear Active Member

Home Page:
    I think so, MM is part of a different line, I only know about Sam and Seq, but you should not have a problem doing so. You can download the trial version and try it out. The audio engine in MM is the same as Samplitude and Sequoia. So same quality.

4. JohnTodd

Thanks!

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    John, fwiw, you may already know this but I have been producing music like you do for years ( since the 80's) . When I got into Samplitude, it took a while to re-curve a few ways I do stuff, mostly midi based creation. Its everything I need now. I actually tried both Cubase and Sonar for the very reasons you and most people go that way but the sound of the acoustic music always suffered. Its like those DAW do EM better, but seriously lack in the sound. After discovering Samplitude, forcing myself to make the choice that is was real music (vocals and guitar for me) that had to come first, followed by my midi skills, I realized it was more a process of adapting. But there is no reason you can't use Cubase, Ableton, FL etc for specialized creation
    tools too. I mean, do what ya got to do!

As Tim put, the software is the king for real music, midi takes a second seat but its no slouch either! Transient detection tools are really cool. Take live music and turn it into midi.
    There is so much here, keep going. No matter what the outcome, you will only gain more knowledge.

Tim, I haven't used the matrix section much (is that only for Sequoia?). Isn't this similar to what John is talking about though? A matrix of all your samples, loops, session takes etc enabling simple click of a box or drag into the time line?

Just more links:
    http://www.samplitude.com/en/category/workshops

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Vandal
    http://www.samplitude.com/en/workshops/vandal-pure-guitar-tone-at-its-best.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vandal-pure-guitar-tone-at-its-best

7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I've recently had a chance to re-amp a few guitar tracks using Vandal, and I'm really liking the results... and that's coming from someone who doesn't generally like guitar sims.

I've used them over the years - GuitarRig, Amplitude, etc. - as temporary production tools - such as recording crunch rhythm and lead guitars if I get an idea late at night or early in the morning, and don't wanna piss off the little woman by cranking up my Fender HotRod DeVille.. LOL... but in the past I've always gone back and eventually re-tracked those guitar sim temporary parts using real amps and mics. And while that is still my main preference, I have to admit that I'm really liking the Vandal VSTi, and I can see using it for permanent tracks as well... and in fact, I already have.

One was with a track I recorded using my beloved '94 Fender American Tele ( see my avatar pic to the left) and a Line 6 Spider 1x12" combo - which I usually just use for rehearsals, so when I tracked it I wasn't crazy about the tone, but I felt it was just a temporary cue track anyway...and at the time I didn't wanna bother setting up my DeVille, which weighs in at roughly the same poundage as a baby Brontosaurus.

Anyway, just playing around, I re-amped the track using Vandal and a clean Fender amp combo sim...I was tickled by the program allowing me to also choose the types of speakers I wanted inside the amp..LOL. I chose a 2x12 U.S. Ceramic speaker type. The end result was more than just "useable", it turned out to be a great sounding keeper track.

Of course, Vandal is not the reason I got Samplitude. But it - along with the great sounding stock plugs that come with Pro X Suite - is a nice added benefit.

I haven't even opened the synth library yet.

8. JohnTodd

I'm sold on Samplitude. This will be my new DAW.

I;ll be going through a transition as I have many outstanding project on Cubase.

Help me "Future proof" my stuff. After I finish a song in Cubase and have it mixed/mastered and released to the public, what should I do? I don't want to keep Cubase installed with all it's stuff. Should I render out the individual .wav tracks and just archive those? I figure I can always load those into whatever DAW I'm using 20 years from now if I need to re-up them, right?

9. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    You should render the tracks but keep the originals as well If you ever want to go back or undo something you will be able to.. ;)

10. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Save the originals to a backup drive, John. You never know when those might be useful.

JohnTodd likes this.
  11. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    If we've learned anything from this thread, it's that Magix is damned fast in responding to customer inquiries. Good luck getting that kind of timely response from Avid or Sonar.... Avid in particular. ;)

12. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I wanted to do a comparison of Samp's GR plugs with a third-party collection, just to see how they stand up against something modern... all my other GR plugs are from Waves, Voxengo, etc., and, they are 32 bit and pretty dated. So, last night I downloaded Slate's VBR rack, on a 14 day trial, with the intent of giving them a truly fair comparison.

I was going into it with an open mind, totally non-biased, and willing to give them a completely fair shake... Except I can't authorize it without an iLok 2 / USB dongle. WTF? :confused:

Why in the world would they care about protecting a TRIAL version of their program? That seems to be overkill, a bit paranoid, and more than just a little ridiculous to me.
    I have no other need for an iLok, so why would I go out and spend $50 just to try software?

Let me try your software, for the limited trial period. If I ended up liking the program, then fine... I purchase the dongle. along with your software, IF I think that the total investment is worth it, or of value to me.

But it's ridiculous to expect a potential customer to invest $50 into a device (that they have no other use for) in order to simply try a program.

Personally, I don't use any cracked software of any kind - (yeah...see.... I'm kind funny that way... I believe that if you want something, you should actually pay for it, although I realize that this is an antiquated notion, from a bygone era, before everyone and their Uncle felt a sense of entitlement to get everything they could ever want for free)

So,
    I completely understand and support copy/piracy protection.

But for a software trial? o_O

I-M-H-B-Q-P-O-O, of course. ( In My Humble But Quite Pissed Off Opinion)

d/

JohnTodd likes this.
  13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I see where you are all directed.
    We are in the app generation thinking every daw should be made to hold our purchases no matter how good they really are, Right?

No wonder pro tools is popular and so it goes.

10 years down the road you/we are still holding onto waves and mind set, thinking we can do A/B of these plug-ins. I have my thoughts on that, are we kidding?

So, Do we spend more time creating a daw that will host all the products and look to one that has most of it all? Then, tred lightly with the DNA. I mean, how many kinds of potatoes do we need in the soup?
    Should every daw be coded to work with low end or do you think this is even possible?

If I wanted a daw designed to be a shelf for all the supporting games, I would still be using pro tools.

There are two roads,

14. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I see where you are all directed.
    We are in the app generation thinking every daw should be made to hold our purchases no matter how good they really are, Right?

No wonder pro tools is popular and so it goes.

10 years down the road you/we are still holding onto waves and mind set, thinking we can do A/B of these plug-ins. I have my thoughts on that, are we kidding?

Q:
    Do we spend more time creating a daw that will host all the products or look to one that has most of it all, Then, tread lightly with the basic DNA and only trust those in the same direction. I mean, how many kinds of industrial potatoes do we need in the organic soup?
    Should every daw be coded to work with low end or do you think this is even possible?

If I wanted a daw designed to be a shelf for all the supporting games, I would still be using pro tools.

There are two roads, Avid and all the main stream plugs or boutique and specialized.

Less is more.

15. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Hmmm.. I don't know what happened, I replied but my post just went "poof" and disappeared. LOL

I'm not "holding onto waves" at all. In fact, I've been pretty clear that I'm more than happy to never have to open up another Waves plug ever again after hearing what Samp has to offer. ;)

I just thought a comparison would be interesting, and I thought I should use something a little more current than the antiquated Waves collection that I was using back when I was in Sonar.

It's no deal-breaker for me. As I said, after hearing Samps plugs, I'm quite happy to use them exclusively. :)

I just thought it would be interesting and fun to compare the stock Samp plugs with another popular 3rd party plug maker.

Damned sure not gonna go out and buy a $50 ilok dongle just to try a piece of software, though. ;)

d/

16. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Hi,
    Waves, Slate, UAD etc are as examples of third party plugs. I'm not quoting you or anyone on this point, Donny. I'm commenting about where digital audio goes sideways.

Isn't there a DAW that does the supermarket plug thingy really well already? Isn't that called Pro Tools, then go shopping!
    Pro Tools is the ideal product. UAD is the benchmark for the latest trend and everyone is following the ant trail.But, are all these plug-ins responding the same way in every DAW? I have my doubts.
    UA was smarter than Avid. Avid tried to force us to buy their DAW and cards where UAD opened walmart up to everyone! Now everyone can have the exact plug. Again, I have my doubts.

What I keep wanting to ask, If we were to buy a real analog console, would we all be switching out the channel strips like plug-ins?

After 35 years in pro audio, I still don't get why you all are buying so many plug-ins and expecting them to match up evenly from DAW to DAW, code to code with precision.

Attempting a plugin comparison to whats stock in Samplitude is just bazaar to me.

17. JohnTodd

Let's go back to how wonderful Sam is.

I've been working on a new song in Sam today. I got 1/10th of the work done because I'm re-learning. Still, Sam sounds wonderful even in my little studio.

bigtree likes this.
  18. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd say Cubase on a pc is the daw of choice as far as plug in integration. There have been many times when Uad worked on that platform and not on a Mac or Protools at first.

Although they discontinued DX plug ins a few years ago. Cubase had some problems with 32 bit plug ins running on 64 bit platform. They have that worked out now though.

Testing tracks between Cubase 7 and the Samplitude demo not running any plug ins just straight audio.. which was tracked in Cubase.. I noticed Cubase had a louder playback than Samplitude by a few Db.. Samplitude has 180 notches of pan vs 200 in Cubase and rendering the same song Samplitudes version was 1.04 db louder..

They sounded super close.. Samplitude had a slightly tighter bottom end like they roll of around 35 to 39 hz a bit.. Cubase was a bit more fluffly in the bottom end but was almost matched with a high pass around 38 hz. That bass difference made Samplitude seem a tiny bit clearer and cleaner in the top end as well.

Brian Van Tassel likes this.
  19. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    cool John, on track and continuing :) Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

20. JohnTodd

Questions .... oh yeah, there's questions. How do I set up my MIDI drumset to have each instrument come out a separate channel?

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed