1. Hi Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN ACID Pro Give-away
    Dismiss Notice

If You're not using Samplitude...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by DonnyThompson, Jul 31, 2014.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Are we talking Independence? Or Midi out in general? That would be dependent on your VSTi too?

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    There are so many tutorials, do these links help:
    Cubase

3. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

OK, thanks! I will look at them soon. I'm done for the day. Tutorials will take me a little while, too.

Thanks again!
    -Johntodd

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    There must be a hundred of them. I still look for info after years using this. Best way to learn this DAW is like you are all doing. Start using it and when you get stumped, ask like here and search for a youtube tip.

The bottom of the fader is the OUTs, top of the channel are the in's.
    Touch the bottom fader, right click and it will point to where you want to direct it. This could be a bus, master out, midi out to a VSTi etc.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    There are multiple ways to the same result. They've designed the software to get to where you want via hot keys, general preferences and right clicking. This can be confusing at first because you are thinking you saw a feature over here, but then recall seeing it by clicking.

6. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You were talking about plugin integration. When I got sonar x3, I gave it a try at mixing with only onboard plugins.
    It was ok but the EQ and Comp wasn't as good as Fabfiter's. Even if I got around 200 plugin installed, I use about 10, the best sounding ones.
    I'm still learning and adapting but what I fing the most important about this thread is going into the bottom of :
    I samplitude really sounding better from other DAW (specially sonar X3)

I have a show tonight. After that I plan to mix the same song in both DAW. I'll do a minimum mix and try to reproduce the same settings and if I don't find a plugin equivalent in Samplitude, I won't use it.

I've compared runing the same tracks to both DAW without plugins or mixing and they sound the same.. the next step will determine if I switch or not ;)

7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    One thing I'm stuck on is transient detection.

I watched the video ( the one with the very laid back British gentleman doing the narrative, man that guy's vocie is like warm milk and valium LOL)
    and he is showing the steps to the process.

He instructs to go to the "Tempo" menu on the top horizontal bar (where the other menus are, like Automation, Effects, etc.)
    The problem is, I don't have a Tempo pull-down menu in my copy of Samplitude.

The top menu bar is, from L-R: File, Edit, Track, Object, Play/Rec, Automation, Effects, Cd/DVD, View, and Help.

Is this "tempo" menu, (with transient detection in the pull -own section), located somewhere else? I can't seem to find the command...

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    What are you wanting to do?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJClel51_U

Brian Van Tassel likes this.
  9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    http://support2.magix.net/boards/samplitude//index.php?showtopic=12091

10. JohnTodd

Oh.My.GAWD! He comped the comps! I gotta go lie down now. I love this program!

11. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Hey John, share the love :) what do you mean, "He comped the comps!"

12. JohnTodd

On that link you shared ... Kraznet showed us revolver tracks and the take composer. He made some copies of the original, then used the composer to make comp 1, then again to make comp 2 and comp 3, thereby showing us how to make alternate versions, etc. Then he loaded the 3 comps into the composer and comped them into a new single take. My brain almost assploded!

13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    right, I was interpenetrating comp as compressor!

14. JohnTodd

Oops...I did that thing again, eh? Sorry.

15. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    At first glance, I was thinking there was something discussed about layering compressors ;)

16. JohnTodd

Good golly, Mrs. Molly!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjpfsH_4Y8s

17. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Why I invested in the 24 channel Neos 120v rails (high headroom analog summing console) and a Dangerous Master. I can slam 24 channels (12 stereo bus or aux's ) OTB , insert special mastering hardware between Samplitude tracks and master bus, capture that on a seperate mixdown DAW, which is Sequoia 12 for me. Its crazy awesome.

But, I have been experimenting without the console, just capturing it and a second DAW and that is just as crazy. My next quest is to try and keep it all ITB and do what I was doing OTB with all the analog goodies, in Sequoia master section.

Basically, it shows us that the DAW is nothing short of wow.
    A killer front end, smart gain staging, keeping the accumulative aliasing down to a minimum and summing with a great DAW like this is pretty damn important.

Namin and JohnTodd like this.
  18. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Which is why I'm so excited about this DAW. This DAW has it all and the master section is stellar. Most likely why so many mastering engineers love it.

19. JohnTodd

Help me with some concepts here. What is special about the Master section?

Elaborate, please.

20. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    John...

Below is what I've found thus far - and that's with barely scratching the surface or taking advantage of but a very small percentage of this DAW's capability... also, these features I've mentioned are in comparison to what I was using just previous to Sampltude, which was Sonar 7.5 Producer Edition; so there may be other platforms that can do what I've mentioned below, I'm only going by Sonar, and the big ones I've found are these:

Snapshot Function
    I love this function, it enables you to store different mixes within the same project file - without having to open up different project files to hear different versions of a mix.
    There are 8 snapshots, which will store every single mix function - from fader levels to plugs to auggies to pans to, well, everything... and you can switch back and forth between these alternate mixes at anytime without having to close one project version and open up another.

Stereo Spread/Enhancement
    While I rarely use any type of stereo enhancement, this is a one-touch button, which allows you to choose the type of enhancement, as well as controlling the amount of it being used. The difference between this stereo enhancement processor and others is that this particular one was CODED for Samplitude. My experience with third-party stereo enhancers always involved an added "smearing", a lack of definition and a phase thing that I always hated. Not so with this one.
    I still won't probably use it much, but it's nice to know that if I do, this processor is built for this DAW and it does what it does - without adding a bunch of extra artifact crap at the same time.

Instant Stereo/Mono Toggle
    Flipping back and forth between a Stereo mix and a mono mix is as easy as pushing the Mono "button".
    I can instantly check for mono compatibility, check for potential phase issues that occurred during tracking, etc.

Bypass
    Instant one switch Bypass of all effects and plug processors.

Mix To File
    One touch Mix Export. Brings up a menu from which you can select your final render format (.Wav, MP3, Flac, MPEG, Windows Media, AAC, AIFF with or without Quicktime, as well as options to export to a Magix proprietary format like Magix Video Pro X).

As a final summation - and remember that I've only been working with this for about a week or so, so I'm still finding new things everyday - I'll say that IMHO, Samplitude's Mixer View is as close to working on a real console as you'll get with any other DAW GUI - (the only exception perhaps being the Harrison MixBus, but then again, MixBus has zero midi integration. It really is just an analog console in a GUI.)
    Samplitude's Console is laid out like a real recording desk, as detailed as any real one that I ever worked on: Gain Input at the Top, Fader Output at the bottom, with Auxiliaries, Full Parametric EQ, (right-click on the EQ section to bring up the parametric graph) Inserts, Buses, Subs, and 2 Mix assignment, and Pans... all in between.

There are also several different console "skins" to choose from, from a more "vintage" look (Carbon and Camo...personally, I like "Camo", to me it most resembles a classic console layout) to a more modern "DAW" look ...( Star Grey, V10 and Canis )
    You can select your preference by going to your mixer view, and in the top left hand corner, clicking on the "S" Samplitude logo.... This will open a drop-down menu from which you can select the console style you want, and it's an instant switching between all styles... no program re-starting is necessary.

I'm sure that Chris or Tim Dolbear could add much more to what I've mentioned here, but this was just a quick and dirty overview/answer to your question.

;)

d/

bigtree and JohnTodd like this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed