1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

If You're not using Samplitude...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by DonnyThompson, Jul 31, 2014.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    My next goal is to attempt to replace some drum sounds using the transient detector on some real analog drum tracks with some midi based drum samples.

I've watched the how-to video, but I'm stuck right now, as one of the steps is to choose the "tempo" drop-down menu on the top horizontal drop down menu bar... from which I would select "transient detection".

The problem is that I don't have a "tempo" drop-down menu on my menu bar... or at least I can't seem to find it. LOL o_O

According to the "how-to" video, it should be located between the Automation and the Effects pull-down menus at the top.

But on mine, it's not. I'm sure it's me, and something that I'm doing wrong... I just can't seem to figure out what that "something" is at the moment.

d/

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Donny, my DAW isn't available to reference (at the lake) so I'm going on memory.
    Why do you need the tempo to do this? Your tempo is set in the transport section. But, maybe you cleared a view while you were experimenting? You could reset your settings to default or go to the View and select what you want to see.

But back to the transient detection,
    Make sure you select the track so its highlighted! Then proceed with the video tutorial.
    Have you been successful with transient detection at all? Its a two step process. Get the detection happening, then, do the transient to midi. A new track will be created below the original
    Sorry, I can't explain the steps precise. Have you gone to the Magix support forum yet? http://support2.magix.net/boards/samplitude/index.php?act=idx
    First detect the transients like you see in the video and then turn it into a midi track. I don't see the need for the tempo, that sounds like a remix feature confusing you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq4OE4irQQ

3. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

OK, another question. I've been recording vocals and trying to comp them. Since I recorded my vocals in different sections, they are in 3 places on the timeline (same track.) Please refer to this screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyrdaxy3ma4nvcf/Screenshot 2014-08-06 13.56.16.png

Now when I select all 3 objects and go into revolver/take composer, only the first object is there and the last two are gone.

But when I glue the object together on the track, then revolver/take composer shows up with this weird "spectrum" thing where all my takes sound liek white noise.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    -Johntodd

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Depending on your order of edit, an object can be independent or tried to multiple objects. As an example. If I was doing a wide effect to multiple objects, I would highlight them all, double click them and make the object edit. If I was doing a more specific, like a de-essing just to thats phrase, I would only double click the one object. If you glue it, its is rendered and done. If you have edits that are mixed up, where some are attached to multiple changes, the rendering may not be possible because it can't render parts attached to something not selected. But it will ask you if you are aware of that also.
    Does this make sense?

I don't use revolver, so I'm not sure of the specifics but the software works the same for all object based editing.

Did this help?

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Also, this may be a useful wow for you.
    A fast way to edit and check objects. Double click to open an object. Look at the editor now. While keeping an eye on the editor window, touch another clip (like your 1st, 2nd, 3rd... vocal clips) in the timeline. You will see the object editor change to reflect the selected object you just touched. This is an obvious and very proficient way to check, edit effects to volumes > effects are open or changed. Touch the object and go.

6. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

OK, I'm getting better results the second time around. More tomorrow.

Thanks!
    -Johntodd

7. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Chris... watch the video you posted ... this is the same video I watched.

At 0:55, the narrator tells the user to go to the TEMPO menu at the top menu bar. But as I stated previously, I don't HAVE a tempo menu on the top menu bar...

I do have a TEMPO function that appears in the Edit pull down menu, but there is no Detect Transient command in it.

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I wish my DAW was with me but I'm certain the menu has changed since this was created so no wonder.
    Do you see this in the Object Edit Menu?

9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Indeed.
    The software has changed and is updated (sorry Donny, you must have been going bonkers) This video is updated. Tim isn't showing the menu to get there. He say's he is using a hot key. I think this is also located in the Object menu. Go there, and scroll down. Its there!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYF5_YeH0c

10. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Also, use the search in the help function! Let me know how you make out.

11. TimDolbear

TimDolbear Active Member

Home Page:
    Drum triggering....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYF5_YeH0c&list=PLF2AFDE8551713C93&index=9

JohnTodd likes this.
  12. thewonders

thewonders Active Member

Donny, quite a few of kraznet's videos were done with Samp 11, and you probably have Samp 12. I haven't looked to find the function you're wanting and you may have to ask at the Samp forum.

bigtree likes this.
  13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Well advised thewonders!

Tim, can you help advise all these guys expecting the tutorials to make better sense? If I recall now, there was a few other changes from Sequoia 11 to 12 like this one Donny was confused over?

Thanks!

14. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    LOL... Yeah, it's a little frustrating, when the instructions include performing a certain action that doesn't exist... LOL... but, I do understand that these particular instructional videos were based on the version that was current at that particular time. On the whole, they are still very informative and well-done.

I'm gonna put another two gallons of coffee into my body, and then study Chris and Tim's video posts - as soon as I'm confident that I have sufficient enough levels of caffeine in order for my brain to actually retain and apply the instruction. ;)

15. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can't wait to get goin on my copy of Sam! It seems like it was made for my style of editing, where I prefer to alter what's there as opposed to the play 8 bars and paste to perfection. I haven't been active around here much lately between mixing, and my dragged out procrastination filled basement reconstruction, my stuff is still boxed up (over a year later).

But it seems like most people who use it like once they get used to it. Having not been completely satisfied w any software, I'm excited to try something that's seemingly a more original take on a daw, especially as I move into using the trident in for some mixing mojo.

I'll be lurking around RO as I power thru this busy period, especially interested in this thread.

16. rjuly

rjuly Active Member

First time poster here. I have just recently nerved myself to plunk down for Sequoia 13 after having demo'd Samplitude, and it's a measure of how excellent its sound and workflow is, considering the cost, and that I have to move back to onto PC after many year's of Mac only. Still waiting for delivery with great anticipation.

Very nice to see the passion and willingness to help shown in this thread.

2 questions(if you would be so kind):

- You mention mixing out of Samplitude into summing and recording back into Sequoia... any reason why you could not mix, sum and record back into Sequoia (or Samplitude) without using a second DAW, or if it not a requirement to do so, why you prefer to?

- Is there anything that Samplitude can do that Sequoia cannot?

17. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    In a nut shell, if you're mixing "round trip" - which is terminology for going back into the same DAW you are using to play the mix through - you can face phasing and latency issues that will effect the overall sonics.

But... this is audiokid's thing, he's our resident expert on mixing to a separate, uncoupled (no sync clock between DAW's) computer... Boswell is also wicked smart when it comes to this workflow, so it's best if we wait for one of those guys to chime in here. They can both explain it much better than I ever could.

There is a new version of Samplitude being released this week. I can't say for sure, but I would think that Sequoia probably has some features that Samp does not, although I can't be specific, because I don't know for sure what those features would be. Again, audiokid (Chris) would know.

18. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If you want a simple image to keep in your head, picture the 2-track capture process as working best if it thinks it is digitizing the analog output of a perfectly-positioned stereo microphone put through a top-quality pre-amp. The recording and mixing processes are separate and lead up to that exchange point.

The thing to do is assign a couple of hours to sit down and read through past threads we have had on this topic. The search engine is pretty good at digging out interesting topics, but to get you started, here are links to a couple of threads:
    First
    Second

19. rjuly

rjuly Active Member

Thanks for your replies, DonnyThompson and Boswell. I would be interested to understand why that process leads to phase incoherency, as the audio is being translated analog and back again to digital. I'm not sure why the fact that the DA and AD converters are clocked to the same source would cause this. It would seem that audiokid, having a lot of experience with this, knows that it does, but the reasons may be difficult to pin down. I will certainly dig into the forum to see the previous discussions. For my own part, I will likely not be sending any audio out and back, with the exception of a few individual track hardware inserts, reamping etc, but I will keep my ears peeled for anomalies.

20. rjuly

rjuly Active Member

I am keenly anticipating the arrival of my copy of Sequoia. I have spent several years using PT, Logic and Reaper and never been happy, particularly with the sound and the lack of VCA automation (although as a value proposition I have found Reaper to be refreshing). Despite the expense of Sequoia, If I had simply stumped up in the first place, I would certainly have saved more than it costs. I became particularly unhappy with the latest manifestation of PT(11), which removed certain features, like VCAs, from the native version and wouldn't let me purchase a native version of HD that had those features. Perhaps that was a blessing in hindsight, as I would not have been compelled to finally buy Sequoia. Now I can stop obsessing about getting the right DAW and just work on music. I have just finished doing some rough mixes (in PT) for some songs I recorded for a friend's band, and I am looking forward to redoing them properly in Sequoia as a shakedown cruise. I think I will limit myself to only using the stock plugins, to see what they can do.

bigtree and pcrecord like this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed