Influences?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Doc@BeefyTreats.com, Jul 17, 2003.

1. SmashKAB

SmashKAB Active Member

Well…. This is a complicated subject… I have many influences for different things. I’d say my love for music was spawned by bands such as; Lamb of God, System of a Down, Tool, Arsis, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, The Bled, Refused, Knights of the Abyss, Born of Osiris, As I Lay Dying, Job For a Cowboy, Nevermore, Trauma, In Flames, DevilDriver, Arch Enemy, Strapping Young Lad, Wintersun, Nevermore, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Genesis, Amon Amarth (These bands are my favorites, I listen to a lot more.. But these are the Elite)

When I started drumming I was really into the Offspring. So Ron Welty taught me the art of Hard Rock/Punk drums… Later I focused on learning lots System Of A Down (John Dolmayan). This helped me develop a strong offbeat sense as well as pick up a few jazz techniques that are so badass! After that I had a strong need for technicality, and lusted for Double Bass. I found that in Lamb Of God (Chris Adler). Now these are my primary influences, I’ve learned at least ¾ of the songs from each bands.

Currently I’m playing/learning from;
    Refused - David Sandström
    DevilDriver - John Boecklin
    The Bled - Mike Pedicone
    Genesis – Phil Collins (Mostly from Abacab)
    Arsis - Mike Van Dyne
    Gojira - Mario Duplantier
    Tool - Danny Carey

I also acknowledge my good friends and colleagues;
    Chris Andersen – Assyria
    Mark Schulze - Assyira
    Nick Maldonado – Trigger
    Dan Bowey – Trigger

These guys have given me reason to persist. Without my old bands Trigger & Assyria, I wouldn’t be half the drummer I am today.

This is where Audio enters the game. After dealing with a few sub-par studios I decided why not do the recording myself. Or at least know going into a studio what I want, and how I want it done.

2. drumsab

drumsab Active Member

Stewart Copeland
    Jeff Porcaro
    Roger Taylor
    Are my first heroes

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
    Lopez (Opeth)
    Van Williams (Nevermore)
    later on

AND:
    John Myung on bass (cause I play that also!)
    and that guy from Primus

3. boxcar

boxcar Active Member

i had to think about that one for awhile but the one person who influenced me to the point where i chose music over school when i was a youngin' was alice cooper.been doing it ever since, wouldn't change a thing..
    i don't feel old but i am..lol

4. rwogh

rwogh Active Member

Buddy rich

YouTube - buddy rich

5. LeeRain

LeeRain Guest

Aost of the already mentioned ones and John Henry Bonham, because he can't be mentioned enough.

Also an alltime fave for his uniqe grooves and particular spaced out hi hat play, Steve White he played with The Style Council and did all of the Paul Weller Solo Albums and lot of session stuff, including some nice acid jazz projects of him.

I have seen him several times live AMAZING

6. Dr.Bob

Dr.Bob Active Member

Travis Barker! Ha, I love punk rock.

7. joh6

joh6 Active Member

I'm a pretty young guy and I'd say my opinions on influential drummers is limited... BUT I must say that if you dig deep into the works of Jason McGerr (death cab for cutie) you will find an extremely well rounded drummer that is able to expand immensely on what we've come to know as "simple" beats. I also quite appreciate the styles of Old John Bonham(Led Zeppelin) have crept back especially with bands like the Dead Weather(Jack White).

-Meg White
    a unique style or lack there of that makes the white stripes music so white stripes.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed