IS DVD-Audio already dead?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Nov 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Hi folks

I have not seen many people coment on their DVD-Audio stuff.

As far as I know, here in Brazil, only one DVD-Audio was released by a major label.

There is also a collection of "Brazilian Finest" that propably was only released abroad.

Michael, were you the guy who mastered this stuff?

Capital Inicial, a pop rock band that sold a million copies of their MTV un-plugged stuff was the first one to be released on DVD-Audio format.

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don't think it's dead, it's just that SACD is making a big push. I have many of both formats and until recently DVD-A had a much better selection of titles. Now I think SACD is starting to take the lead.

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

which one is your favorite in terms of sound quality?

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don't know what I like best. Both are good formats even though sony loves to come out with something that requires new hardware. DVD-A is probably my choice because of the pics you can include as well as being able to include AC3 streams that playback in DVD-V players. Plus I can use the gear I already own.

5. Don Grossinger

Don Grossinger Distinguished past mastering moderator Active Member

Home Page:
    I have heard lovely sounding DVD-A discs. The mixes might not have been what I like, but the audio quality was undeniable. Smooth & musical.

By the way, I am going to a 3 hour "listening party" at Sony Music Studios in NYC on Thursday evening featuring SACD Surround demonstrations in one of their studios. I'll report back on what I heard.

6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

7. golli

golli Active Member

OK Don, tell us how it went!!??