Is Mackie MR8 first edition worth it ?

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by pcrecord, May 24, 2013.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have the Yorkville Ysm1 and think about having a alternate set to double check my mixes.
    Since the put out the MR8mkII the first edition are cheap to buy, but are they any good ?

Or any alternative for low budget (around 500$ for a pair)?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

those are getting kind of old ... check to be sure you can still get replacement drivers before you buy or you might get stuck.

just a hint. i saw NS10ms on the Ebay the other day at $650 w/ free shipping ....

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    i've been told the mr's aren't really close to the hr's. i own the hr8 mk2's and call them 'ok'. cheapest, you can't beat alesis monitor 1 mk2 powered. i like the idea of a pair of ns 10's. don't forget a cheapo pair of computer speakers, those will help in the same way as auratones, for a lot lot less cash. lots of people have told me KRK stuff is legit, haven't used 'em yet. i think you can do better than the MR's for 500 bucks.

4. rosy

rosy Member

I have a pair of these. Mixes on these do not translate well outside the studio. I have to use a pair of Avantones to get to get the highs and mids right. I'm about to ditch the Mackies for a pair of Sonodyne SM100AK.