ITB vs. passive summing OTB

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by Kurt Foster, Nov 30, 2014.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    http://vintageking.com/millennia-sum-option

Kurt, I have no idea what this is, saw it and posted here. But, maybe it is something you can use with the other Millennia Pre you have? Or just want to look at it for fun. I'm seeing a card on some sites posting this but its showing up as the ADDA. This is something else.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i've settled on a LittleOne 8 sum box. good quality build at a very affordable price.

i'm just waiting for a pay pal payment to clear ... god i hate them. looks like they are going to hang on to my money for a week .... never again!

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
  4. Kurt Foster

getting ready to order tonight. i have just one question for Paul (the owner of VintageMaker) regarding what value of resistors to use. as soon as i get an answer i will be making payment.

does anyone know if there are customs charges from Hungary?

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I usually have to pay extra when a product isn't manufactured in my Country. But, that usually doesn't happen until something is around $1500 and up. But there still are taxes .

6. Kurt Foster

order complete. $159 w/ shipping. i am saving so much money putting this rig together. it's fun poking around looking for ways to cut costs without cutting corners.

soooooo ..... thinking of a Focusrite Forte' for the mixdown DAW. are these good converters? i can go right out of the sum mixer into the Focusrite pres for make up gain. this seems like the least expensive solution without cheaping out on quality ....

7. Kurt Foster

thanks ..... looks like i'll dodge the bullet on this one. sent payment as a gift via paypal .....

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I'm excited to read about your progress. You get it yet, Kurt?

9. Kurt Foster

no and i am beginning to worry. perhaps it is slowed down due to XMAS .... there's a delay for the DB25 cable also ....

10. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Could be the season. But, I sent a lot of gear over the last few weeks and everything arrived in 6 business days. Overseas is different though.

11. Kurt Foster

@audiokid; i thought you might be interested in seeing this

MidSide-front.png

12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    That is cool! I like that blend function. Nice to see you researching, Kurt, makes me happy. :love:

13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Cool products. http://avensonaudio.com/images/TapeOp76_BehindTheGear.pdf
    You thinking about adding something from here or just researching? Did you find a price? Both the MS and Blend are smart concepts.

No Transformer on the Blend.

14. Kurt Foster

$700 list, $600 street each. not cheap but not over the limit either .... aside from the intended applications, i can see a lot of utility uses for both.

i'm not thinking of buying them .... i see no way to recoup the investment. i love buying tools, not so wild about wasting much needed resources on toys.

if i can find a used m/s box on on the cheap, i might spring for it but $600 goes a long way to taking care of other responsibilities i have.

15. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    did it arrive yet?

16. Kurt Foster

Littleone 8 showed up a few days ago ... still waiting for the DB25 from Sweat hoger to hook it up .....

then it will be time to get to work setting the system up. i have to drag my old computer tower in from the shop and pray that it fires up ... it hasn't been run since '05. i don't have high hopes but we will see. other than tha i think i have everything to get going ... still going to save up for a better used 2 track USB interface ... Babyface or the Forte', which ever i get the best deal on.

17. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

I am setting up a two computer system and will be interested to see if I notice the dramtic results you guys hear. I am doing it for work flow reasons not for sonic benifit but finally I will get to test this out. I post back and null test an ITB version against a decoupled computer version.

18. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Oh boy!

Looking forward to learning more about this new workflow.

19. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    They won't come even close to nulling. That's part of the point - it's a different representation of the same data.

20. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I was hoping he would come back here telling us they nulled.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed